Trimming neck seal @#$#$%#&^*@!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have yet to have to cut a seal of my own, but when my LDS fitted me in my drysuit, they used scissors to cut along the hardly visible lines on the seal. It just takes time and it worked great.

Mike at Dive Right in Scuba hooked me up. Installed the seal this morning and let me watch so next time I can do it myself. Suit is good to go, only had to trim one ring off it then and it fits perfect. Would have cost me 5x more to send the thing back to DUI and have it back by thursday.

Usually this happens when there's not a sharp blade (nicked, dull, etc) or a tacky/not slick surface. With a razor blade or an Exacto knife, you're dragging a blade across the surface and putting tension on the seal as you try to cut it...it's a recipe for splitting.

The best way to get a clean cut is to go to a fabric / sewing store and pick up a rotary cutter. They're not expensive ($10-ish). If you've used it before or use it on fabrics, then always put a fresh blade in before trimming seals. They're like a razor sharp version of a pizza cutter, and the rolling action of the blade as you run it across the seal will give you a clean, no-tear cut every time.

Do it over a piece of PVC, an inflated/capped soda bottle, or just do it flat on a piece of cardboard, making sure to cut an "arc". A little double-sided painter's tape (low-tack) will help hold the two sides in alignment. Don't do it on a metal tank, as the metal surface dulls the blade very rapidly.

One other tip - you can glue a new seal over the old one in an emergency. It's a lot easier than pulling the seal off and putting a new one on, and you can do it two or three times before it builds up too thick.

Never stretch the seal. Its just begging for it to split. (I've done it too)

WOW...I stretched mine over a plastic cylinder almost the same size of an AL80 to trim. I had never heard of a seal splitting.
I found a plastic sand bucket in the toy section of Walmart for a $1.00, with a nice taper to it. It worked perfect and the bucket came with a little orange shovel I can use when Dork Diving! :dork2:
...only had to trim one ring off it then and it fits perfect...
Wow, I must have one big, fat neck! I trimmed 3 off mine and it's still borderline choking me.

The replacement seal was size specific. I believe a large is 14.8- 15.5 This time I just used a sharp scissors and followed the ring. Worked out fine so it's how I'll be doing it from now on.

I'll be diving at Catalina. Lynne, yep learned my lesson also. Mike recommended a 4" diameter piece of PVC to straighten out the seal but not stretch it too much. I have a feeling I'll be getting a zip neck seal retrofitted next time I need one though so something like this won't happen again.

When are you coming out? Are you staying on the island, or boat diving from the mainland?

Zip seals are great for piece of mind, but they're expensive suckers. I'm giving serious consideration to converting my suit BACK to regular seals so I can use the new neck ring and silicon seal system that DRIS has been promoting... looks fascinating, I gotta say, and seal changes happen super fast.

I definitely second the rotary cutter idea. Best way I've used by far to cut a seal... I tend to research options quite a bit. :wink: They're cheap at any sewing shop.

The replacement seal was size specific. I believe a large is 14.8- 15.5 This time I just used a sharp scissors and followed the ring. Worked out fine so it's how I'll be doing it from now on.
Thanks!

The best way to get a clean cut is to go to a fabric / sewing store and pick up a rotary cutter.

Great tip!! Thank you.

I used PVC pipe and a razor blade on my seals - it worked, but the cut could have been cleaner. Next time ...

Henrik

Having done more then a few seals and replacing seals on my suits and for friends.

I prestretch the seals over an AL80 for a day or so before installing them on a suit. This helps relax the latex and keeps the size more stable going forward.

For trimming I also use a Rotary cutter. For those that don't know, think pizza cutter that is sharp enough to take off a finger with ease. As a second choice a BRAND NEW razor blade will do the job as well.

The cutting surface is VERY important. You want to strech the seal just a little bit so its stable but not a lot. You also want a plastic or wood surface (PVC works good as other have said). Cutting on metal or glass surfaces will dull the edge of the blade VERY fast. Which then as said before will cause dragging and a possible tear.

The technique of cutting is the last key. You want to make one sweeping motion without lifting the blade. You want a nice very clean edge when done. Any nicks or bumps will be the seed for a split as the seal deteriorates. NEVER use scissors to trim a seal, EVER! If the edge of your seal looks like a dog chewed on it your going to have issues in about a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom