Trimming a hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timmyjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First I'd like to thank everyone who posted a response to my previous question about trimming my 7mm wetsuit that was too tight on my neck when I first tried it on. I used it in water today and the tightness was not a problem, so I'm glad I didn't trim it and thank you to all of you who advised me against cutting it until I had used it in the water.

Using the suit and the hood in the water did identify another problem though. Where the hood comes up over my chin, it rides too high and keeps interfering with my mouth when I am using my reg or my snorkel. Here is a picture of how high up it comes.

HoodChin.jpg

I tried pulling it down in the water but it just keeps working its way back up and interfering with my mouth/reg/snorkel. I think I'm going to have to cut it, but unfortunately it has that piping around it, and the seem running right up the middle of the chin. Anyone have any advice/experience in trimming away material on a neoprene suit like this?

Thanks for any and all info.

Best,
-Tim

I hate hoods, but consider them a necessary evil. I had a similar problem and solved it with a new hood. I bought a Pinnacle 7 MM hood that had a 3 MM edge around the face area that can easily be trimmed away as needed and still remain pretty water-tight. I think they call it "face-skin". My hood now stops right along the point of my chin. Here is a link to what it looks like: Pinnacle 7mm Hood at LeisurePro .

If it is really cold, you probably want the hood like that. If the water is pretty warm, get a cheap 3 mm hood and cut away.

It looks like this is a non trim able hood. The one that rwkosh is referring to can be trimmed. If you cut this hood the stitching will unravel. Can you return or exchange it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, a good thing I didn't trim anything. Went diving in a quarry today, about 45ºF at the depth we were, and having that bottom part of the hood over my chin was quite warming. It's still a little bothersome, but the warmth it provides outweighs the annoyance.

Best,
-Tim

If that rise in the center does prove to be a bother you can take a pinch of material and hold it with a few stitches. That will serve to lower the rise and still be reversible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom