Trimix diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaGypsy

Reaction score
Are there any female trimix divers here? I'd like to talk to other women about what deco schedules you're using and what kind of success you have with them.

There are many trimix divers on scubaboard who can discuss deco schedules with you, but your post begs a question: why do you specifically only want to talk with women?

- Warren

I know what a number of male divers are doing. However, I don't happen to dive with any other women. Given that women are physiologically different and, according to some theories/studies, more susceptible to DCS I'd like to hear what others women who are doing this kind of diving have to say.

SeaGypsy:

I know I'm not helping, because I'm a man :wink:, but the physiological differences are minimal. Women tend to have a higher body fat percentage than men, but there is no physiological difference between a man with 10% body fat and a woman with 10% body fat. Women are naturally going to have lower tidal volumes and smaller cardiovascular systems, as well, but let's just say the cardiovascular system is appropriately sized to the body mass for both sexes. I'm not a doctor, but I don't believe there need to be any significant differences in deco schedules for each sex.

- Warren

Women aren't physiologically different? I'm not even sure where to start on that. :) Do you know any men who can tell you what a breast hit feels like? But I'm not saying that women need to do anything different, I'm just wondering what they are doing.

Anyway it looks like a moot point since no women have responded. If any do see this later email me: sea_gypsy_nj@yahoo.com

Dear SeaGypsy:
Welcome to scuba board. Please be patient. We are getting new members everyday. One just might be able to answer your question.
Also some man..just might a know a few women that could help answer it too. While I'm not a trimix diver, I do know several men that are. I'm going to do my part by asking around and seeing if I can find a woman.
By the way, we'd love to hear some of your dive reports.
Also check out www.womeninscuba.com

Thank you Natasha. I don't write many dive reports but I'll see if I can't post a couple sometime.

Sea Gypsy:
I found a woman Trimix diver. Geez, not as easy as I would have thought. Hopefully, she will post something tonight.
Thanks for your patience.

I'm the trimix diver Natasha recruited to answer your question.

I use decoplanner (from GUE) and follow those profiles. They are the same ones the guys use. I do deep stops and gas switches that allow me to do a lot of the deco ahead of the critical window. I also do my 10' stop at 20' to take better advantage of the oxygen window.

Some people trim the deco times generated by the programs. I tend not to do that as much, mainly because I am still gaining experience and I want to keep my record of not having been bent. I do trim the shallower stops some based on the minutes added for deep stops. It takes some experience to understand where to do that. I recommend taking a GUE Tech 1 course to understand how to determine your deco.

Whatever deco you do, understand that you AND your buddy should be decoing together, so work out the plan with your buddy. It may mean that you or s/he are doing a few minutes longer than you might do, but that never hurt anyone. Keep your dives short, and then the deco is easier to manage. I prefer to do dives that require less than 60 minutes of deco.

Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the answer (And Natasha, thanks for recruiting her!) I hope you won't mind a few more questions.

What gradient factors do you use? When you say you do your 10ft stop at 20ft, are you running the program with the last stop at 20ft or are you running the profile with a 10ft stop and discarding it? Is it just the 20ft stop you are trimming? Are you doing this based on some formula?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom