Trim weighting with jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobaChef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've switched over to scubapro jet fins and I absolutely love them, but I'm now having trouble maintaining trim. Equipment wise, 3mm spring suit, 6lb ss bp, al80, and 2lb in integrated pockets.

Most of my body mass is in my legs already and with the fins, i can't get enough leverage to pull my legs horizontal.

So my question is, would I benefit from putting a lb or two on my tank band or is there a particular technique that i'm not making use of?

Just in case anyone is wondering, the weighting I have gives me spot on bouyancy control, so it's just a matter of getting my legs in line with the rest of my body.

I would move some weights up higher on your body. The tank band sounds like a good starting point. You can buy trim pockets that attach to the band so you can get the weights in and out easily.

R..

Or try sliding the AL 80 down (toward your feet) so the leverage of the positive buoyancy will bring your bottom/feet up as the gas is consumed.

Also, try bending your knees a little more to reduce the negative leverage of the jets/leg extension.

Or try sliding the AL 80 down (toward your feet) so the leverage of the positive buoyancy will bring your bottom/feet up as the gas is consumed.

I already have the upper cam band just below the curve of the tank. How much lower are we talking?

I already have the upper cam band just below the curve of the tank. How much lower are we talking?

You may not have much room left. But for single band BCDs it's a viable option (worked for my wife, in reverse.)

Remember that by virtue of changing to jet fins you may be able to drop some weight. Beyond that any trim adjustments mean moving (not adding weight)

Moving some weight from the belt up to the top cambabd an easy move. This would put you on the verge of zero ditchable weight. Not everyone is comfortable with that idea.

If your cylinder is a Catalina (heavy base) you may benefit more by moving it higher on your body.

With that spring suit you sort of have things stacked against you. How about heavier (more neoprene) boots?

Pete

Hmmm. Lots of good suggestions here. With the spring suit, I've only got 8lb total weight(6lb backplate +2lb ditchable). I've got 5mm boots now, so not sure if moving up will be enough of a difference.

Perhaps make the switch to steel cylinders?

A 2lb ankle weight clipped around the tank neck did wonders for me.

YMMV of coursse

I'm like you -- with a 3 mil suit, I carry two lbs of extra ballast. Putting it on the upper camband balanced me perfectly with Jets. I would imagine a 2 lb ankle weight around the tank neck would do something similar.

You could get some spray foam and fill them holes in the jet fins. :shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom