Trim Pocket Location for AL Zuma BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

james_bond_007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for some suggestions on how/where to locate the trim pockets for my Aqualung Zuma BCD.
It is a wing-style travel BCD that has
a) Integrated Weight pockets around the waist
b) Removable Trim pockets that are intended to attach to the tank band

Since the tank bank sits quite low on the BCD (it is intended to help place the tank weight on the hips), the trim pockets end up on the waist (or slightly above), but in the back. They end up being sort of opposite of the front Integrated pockets, and rather low.

What I would like to do is shift them up higher towards my shoulders; however, I am not fining many places to attach them.

I tried routing the top tank 'keeper' strap through them. This got the weight higher, but the trim pockets 'flopped' around during my dive.

I am not opposed to trying to add/sew-on some mounting straps for them up near the shoulders, but a concerned about the wing bladder getting accidentally punctured during the process.

Here are some pictures showing what I have to work with.
aqualung-tarierjacket-zuma-tank.jpg

zumatrimpocket.jpg

20105028_5.jpg

Your suggestions are appreciated.

I used a Zuma for a few years. What I did was take a spare camband and put the two weight pockets on the band.
Slide it down below the crown of the cylinder and secure the band. Move it up and down the cylinder as you need to achieve trim.

aqualung-tarierjacket-zuma-tank.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there,

You are fairly limited in options since your BC only has one tank strap in such a low position. Scott's idea is pretty brilliant as it would allow you to use the trim pockets you already own, and you could "move it up and down the cylinder" to the exact ideal location. You wouldn't need to make any adjustments or sew anything to your BC, all you would need is a spare tank strap band (I'll sell you one if you want).

If this option doesn't appeal to you for whatever reason, you could do what I do and wrap a 2 pound ankle weight (or two 1.5 pound ankle weights) around the valve after you put your first stage on your tank. Although the placement is quite high, it is a more simple and inexpensive solution that makes a world of a difference to your trim.

Hope this helps!

The same thing in reverse can be done if you need to move some weight lower by putting the cam band on the bottom of the tank. This helps if you are a taller person using shorter steel tanks.

XS Scuba Standard Cam Bands

Add your trim pockets and locate it near the top of the tank.

Not so convenient if you're renting/changing tanks often.

Thank you.

I'm still thinking of sewing on a strap near the shoulders. I pinned one on to see how it looks.
I velcro'e'ed the bottom of the pocket to the tank valve strap (white cable ties in Photos)
(I think each strap was about $1.00-ish ($0.50/connector and $0.50/strap)
upload_2017-3-1_15-47-12.jpeg

upload_2017-3-1_15-48-51.jpeg

upload_2017-3-1_15-49-31.jpeg

upload_2017-3-1_15-49-50.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-1_15-44-34.png
    upload_2017-3-1_15-44-34.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 121
  • upload_2017-3-1_15-47-34.jpeg
    upload_2017-3-1_15-47-34.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 128
These are both good suggestions.
I will try them.

I am not real tall, so putting the cam band on the bottom of the tank dose not help, in my situation.
I need the weight higher, near the shoulders, as the weight from the bottom of the tank is causing me to pivot backwards (lifts my head and torso up).

The downsides are:
1) Ankle Weights
a) extra weight to carry when flying. (I agree 2-4 lbs is not much, and can be carried onboard, if pushing the 'baggage limit' )​
2) Tank Strap -
a) If diving with a Dive Op, and they handle your equipment, they can lose the cam band and/or pockets.
(I lost 2 pockets by some Dive Ops, and then velcro'ed my replacements to my cam band to prevent losing them)​
3) Sew on Strap -
a) A bit of effort to sew on
b) Need to ensure you don't puncture the bladder when sewing
c) Weight rides on the outside/on-top-of of the bladder​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom