Trilams on trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bleeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Those of you with drysuits, especially trilams, how many of you take them when traveling to warmer climes (by air)? Do you normally bring backup seals and glue?

I just got in an interesting discussion with some friends who just got back from somewhere remote. They'd flown with somewhat bulkier 3 mm full suits, but the advantage of a wet suit is that minor damage to the suit wouldn't be a show-stopper. If you're somewhere remote or on a liveaboard, drysuit repairs and materials might be more of an issue. Thoughts?

Well, I have both taken a dry suit to a warm destination, and suffered through a variety of leaks. The good news is that, in fairly minimal undergarments and warm water, you stay warm. The bad news is that being wet in a dry suit is profoundly unpleasant, even if you aren't cold.

I have patched neck seals with bicycle tire patches (worked well enough to get me through several days of diving). I have patched wrist seals with duct tape (worked for almost two YEARS). A hunk of duct tape will patch most holes in a suit well enough to finish a trip. If I were doing the dive trip of my life to someplace amazing, I'd probably pack some Aquaseal and a set of wrist seals -- they aren't really hard to replace. I have a neoprene neck seal now, so having that fail is a pretty remote possibility.

The more I travel with my dry suit, the less I think I'll ever dive wet again.

In traveling to warm water locations I bring a DUI 30/30 tropical drysuit with Zip seals installed at the wrists - the most likely suspect in terms of tearing a seal. (Don't like neck Zip seals, and they don't make them for the ankle seals.

Of course I also bring a wetsuit with me, just in case...

:D

In fact on a recent 3-week Truk trip I tore my neck seal after 57 dives with one dive day left. (Almost 200 dives total on that neck seal.) Glad I had the wetsuit with me.

Those of you with drysuits, especially trilams, how many of you take them when traveling to warmer climes (by air)?

If the water temp is 75 degrees F or lower, and I plan doing repetitive dives, I take my dry suit.

Do you normally bring backup seals and glue?

Absolutely, backup neck and wrist gaskets and glue.

Also take patch material for the trilam fabric.

In traveling to warm water locations I bring a DUI 30/30 tropical drysuit with Zip seals installed at the wrists - the most likely suspect in terms of tearing a seal. (Don't like neck Zip seals, and they don't make them for the ankle seals.

Of course I also bring a wetsuit with me, just in case...

That's my solution too. When I got my first drysuit, I was not convinced about zip seals but I thought that as long as it's my only drysuit this could save a lot of heart ache. When I get second suit (I have already given in and stopped thinking that it is an IF), this suit with the zips will stay a travel suit if I don't get zips on the second suit.

And if it's a trip of a life time, I will certainly bring a wetsuit gear too (and pay extra luggage fee if needed).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom