trilam vs compressed neoprene drysuit for beach entries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrWilliam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anyone comment on trilam vs compressed neoprene drysuits for swimming / surf entries, particularly in Northern California waters? All single tank NDL diving. When I chatted with my LDS recently and mentioned I'm considering a drysuit so I could start diving local NorCal waters, he tried to steer me towards an 8/7 semi-dry (they are a drysuit dealer, so doesn't seem like he was just trying to sell me something). The donning and doffing, weighting, and mostly the warmth difference are my objections to going with a wetsuit. I also am drysuit certified and told the LDS guy this, though I've never owned a drysuit. He said the problem with trilam suits is damaging them when entering / exiting rocky NorCal beaches. I used a Whites Fusion when I did my drysuit class (years ago) and liked it. They are a Trilam suit but have a neoprene outer layer, but don't seem to be made anymore.

When it comes to drysuits I'm inclined towards the Trilams since they seem the overall better option, but if durability for local waters is such a concern, maybe they're too much of a hassle??

It's to the point that all the various options and confusion (and opinions) is the greatest barrier to me exploring local NorCal diving. At the same time, if everyone told me "you'll be just fine in an 8/7 semidry" I might just go with it as it's obviously such a more affordable option. Note: I rate myself as "moderate" when it comes to cold sensitivity.

I prefer compressed neoprene. Tougher and thinner underwear too.

But if you can get by with a good wetsuit, I would recommend it. Less headaches, less to go wrong.

I use both types in Monterey, I prefer the trilam because it’s front zip but I like diving neoprene if it’s rough surf conditions and it’s a lot warmer.

How long are your dives normally? If I keep it under an hour a good semi dry works ok but I usually go longer.

Look at Seaskin and buy one of each and you can buy the semi dry from your shop while you wait for the seaskin’s to arrive, you’ll likely spend a lot less money this way than buying a drysuit from them.

I prefer compressed neoprene drysuit when diving from shore and especially when having to do surface swims to get to a drop down point. I don't dive in CA however.

NorCal? Neoprene, no questions asked.
Majority in this thread seem to recommend dry:

Normal neoprene, tights t shirts tracksuit undergarments big soled boots for rocks fin pockets to suit

ocean activity adds warming

031.JPG

Compulsory diagonal don zipper

I dive an 8/7 semi-dry (it’s a wet suit. Semi-dry is marketing BS) off the beach in SoCal year round. 50 degrees in winter. Otherwise I wear a tri-lam. I don’t want to subject the dry suit to sand (zipper) and wear and tear and humping the extra weight across the sand is a pain. I’m a little cold in the 8/7 after an hour (not much body fat) but the suit is 20% of the cost of a new dry suit, easier to swim and I don’t worry about tears and punctures.

I use a Seaskin 3mm compressed neoprene. It feels kind of floaty, but it's really nice if you're going to do a coral crawl. No fears of ripping that beast at all. Particularly with reinforced knees.

I've been using DUI TLS-350 trilaminate drysuits for over 20 years of diving in the Monterey area, including rough shore diving sites. They work fine. Like any other piece of dive gear they eventually wear out.

Back
Top Bottom