Trilam Drysuit for a student: Bare Trilam Tech or Seaskin Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReillyP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there,

I am a newly certified advanced open water diver in Vancouver Canada. I've done 13 dives this year on a rental BARE tech trilam 2XL and don't have many complaints. I had issues putting fins on until I bought fins with a spring strap but have no issues donning or doffing those in the BARE.

I am entering a marine biology program this summer where I will be diving frequently and need to get myself a drysuit so I am not freezing my butt off in a 7mm all day.

I am ~6'2" and currently 290 lbs but I do fluctuate, my heaviest ever was 312 and that was on purpose and doubt I will get back to that again, when getting in shape for a competition I have gone all the way to 230. The tightest part of the BARE 2xl for me was my legs and glutes when squatting.

I have a quote from my local dive shop for a BARE tech trilam with added pockets and changeable wrist and neck seals but I noticed the seaskin nova with the same upgrades would be 1/3 the price if I factor shipping and expect customs.

My question is, is the local service center and quality of the BARE really worth the price of 2-3 seaskin novas? Will I be kicking myself in a year if I buy this BARE now?

Past that, what other considerations should I take into account for the suit? I am hoping to only buy it once and have it last at least 5 years as I am on the budget of a student here.

Also, I think I am set on socks instead of fixed boots.... I just think everyday use could end up rather smelly and the inability to flip it inside-out to air or clean is a deal-breaker but please let me know if I am misinformed!

I will also be picking up the Halo 3D as an undersuit and am hoping that allows me more flexibility and less lead when compared to the multiple layers I wear now.

If anyone else has any suggestions I am all ear :)

Cheers,
Reilly

Hi there,

I am a newly certified advanced open water diver in Vancouver Canada. I've done 13 dives this year on a rental BARE tech trilam 2XL and don't have many complaints. I had issues putting fins on until I bought fins with a spring strap but have no issues donning or doffing those in the BARE.

I am entering a marine biology program this summer where I will be diving frequently and need to get myself a drysuit so I am not freezing my butt off in a 7mm all day.

I am ~6'2" and currently 290 lbs but I do fluctuate, my heaviest ever was 312 and that was on purpose and doubt I will get back to that again, when getting in shape for a competition I have gone all the way to 230. The tightest part of the BARE 2xl for me was my legs and glutes when squatting.

I have a quote from my local dive shop for a BARE tech trilam with added pockets and changeable wrist and neck seals but I noticed the seaskin nova with the same upgrades would be 1/3 the price if I factor shipping and expect customs.

My question is, is the local service center and quality of the BARE really worth the price of 2-3 seaskin novas? Will I be kicking myself in a year if I buy this BARE now?

Past that, what other considerations should I take into account for the suit? I am hoping to only buy it once and have it last at least 5 years as I am on the budget of a student here.

Also, I think I am set on socks instead of fixed boots.... I just think everyday use could end up rather smelly and the inability to flip it inside-out to air or clean is a deal-breaker but please let me know if I am misinformed!

I will also be picking up the Halo 3D as an undersuit and am hoping that allows me more flexibility and less lead when compared to the multiple layers I wear now.

If anyone else has any suggestions I am all ear :)

Cheers,
Reilly
If you’re going to pay what their apparent quote was, get an SF Tech, or two Otter/Ursuit, or two Seaskin and heated battery/vest. There are suits probably worth that, but I don’t think Bare is one of them.

If you’re going to pay what their apparent quote was, get an SF Tech, or two Otter/Ursuit, or two Seaskin and heated battery/vest. There are suits probably worth that, but I don’t think Bare is one of them.

Plus 1 vote for a heated undergarment system!

Very happy with my made to measure Nova and the value just can't be beat. I've had DUI, Scubapro and a Usia drysuit in the past albeit none were custom made but rather off the shelf suits. The fit were never exactly right, may be because of my particular built but that's the main reason I went custom. I'm about to order another Nova for my son, anyone want to buy a gently used XXL DUI TLS350?

There are suits probably worth that, but I don’t think Bare is one of them

Have you used the Bare suit yourself? I have yet to meet a diver who used Bare drysuit who didn't like it the suit.

I haven't seen a new Bare Tri-lam, but I have an older one as a backup that I bought new in 2003. The Bare Tri-Lam was a solid suit. I more recently had a made to measure Bare X-Mission, and the suit is a giant pile of garbage. Since Bare wasn't willing to make the X-Mission their problem, I bought a Seaskin Nova. The material the Nova is made of is very similar to the Bare Tri-Lam and is a fraction of the price. I am all for supporting your LDS, but my last Bare suit was an incredible disappointment. So far, I have about 21 hours underwater in the Seaskin Nova and I have zero complaints. YMMV. I was a Bare fan for a lot of years.
Editing to add insulation comments: I froze my butt with just Halo 3-D. I use Xerotherm under the Halo 3-D and a lightweight long underwear base layer. I add a heated vest sometimes too. If you order a Seaskin, get the extra room for insulation. Much of my diving is Great Lakes and cold water. Again, YMMV.

I have not been impressed with the BARE suits I have seen on dive buddies and what students show up with. The Seaskins are pretty impressive for the price. I've owned OS System, USIA under the HOG brand, and currently have an Otter Britannic II Telescoping that is my favorite. I would not hesitate to buy another. BARE has changed hands and are now owned by Huish and the prices are nuts. I have an older velocity suit and it is still in great shape. I don't dive it as much because I got fatter, but I have let numerous students use it. It has held up well. I paid around 250 for it. Now a similar suit is $500. It's nice but not that nice.
I'd take the Seaskin over the BARE if I couldn't get another Otter.

My worry with the seaskin is that even though it is half the price of the BARE, it won't be worth it in the long run.

I am expecting 1/4th of the cost as customs. No one locally can service them outside of basic leak fixes and such so if I blow a zip that will be 400$ + shipping both ways (I'd assume ~400 dollars)

The BARE is in stock now and I would have it in hand before I leave for my trip. If i order the seaskin, it could be 12 weeks meaning I would need to return from my remote research station to pick it up, meaning ~200-400$ just to go get the thing.

If the BARE is ~3700 CAD

and the Seaskin is ~1700 CAD + ~400 customs + ~400 for the trip to get it + ~120 for shipping + ~20 to get my measurements. I think I am only saving ~1000 $

Yes saving that 1000-1400 on paper sounds good but as soon as I need to service it, those savings I think will be eaten up by having to send it back.

Any input would be appreciated as I will be ordering by this Friday.

Should I just get the BARE and be happy knowing I have a suit I know that works in-hand, where I won't need to leave to pick it up?

Any savings I get with the seaskin would probably go towards a santi heated vest or just school expenses.

My worry with the seaskin is that even though it is half the price of the BARE, it won't be worth it in the long run.

I am expecting 1/4th of the cost as customs. No one locally can service them outside of basic leak fixes and such so if I blow a zip that will be 400$ + shipping both ways (I'd assume ~400 dollars)

The BARE is in stock now and I would have it in hand before I leave for my trip. If i order the seaskin, it could be 12 weeks meaning I would need to return from my remote research station to pick it up, meaning ~200-400$ just to go get the thing.

If the BARE is ~3700 CAD

and the Seaskin is ~1700 CAD + ~400 customs + ~400 for the trip to get it + ~120 for shipping + ~20 to get my measurements. I think I am only saving ~1000 $

Yes saving that 1000-1400 on paper sounds good but as soon as I need to service it, those savings I think will be eaten up by having to send it back.

Any input would be appreciated as I will be ordering by this Friday.

Should I just get the BARE and be happy knowing I have a suit I know that works in-hand, where I won't need to leave to pick it up?

Any savings I get with the seaskin would probably go towards a santi heated vest or just school expenses.

Bare is Canadian, that says it all. High Quality, great customer service AND local business that employees local people and pays taxes in your home country supporting your local economy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom