Trip Report Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You write the greatest reports, Rich!

That boat ladder looked really odd to me. Not sure I could make the stretch from the ringing the water to the lower of the two above. How did that work?

The boat ladder isn't fixed; they pick it up and set it over the side (kind of like an upside down U) to let people climb back aboard. Seas during my trip were about the most consistently smooth I've seen. I used the dangling 'ski rope' over the side to hold on (not a big deal, but at times there's some surface current) and move toward the back of the boat; when it was my turn to reboard, it wasn't hard to move down and grab the ladder.

I pay attention to seas a bit, because my lower back isn't what it used to be (so the 'bouncing' when a boat's underway isn't pleasant) and my wife and a friend I used to dive with were both prone to sea sickness; I'm not (unless our kid wants to me ride the Tilt-A-Hurl,er, Whirl) with her at a fair, but I think about it.

On an unrelated note, regarding weird souvenirs, I brought this back for her.

IMG_2759_zpska0ymsgo.jpg

Richard.

Omg Rich. Lol we're different for sure. I'd never give one of those to one of my nieces. Hahaha

I was referring to the metal rungs on the ladder. It looked to me like there was a very large gap between the rung, I'd assumed was just under the surface and the two rungs closer together that were above the water near the top of the ladder.

I'm about 6'1", so maybe not the best judge, but I didn't find the steps too far spaced. Where I found it a bit awkward was swinging my right let over the top of the hand grip, into the boat, or just stepping over into the boat without lifting my leg over (which is awkward geared up with a tank on my back). Taking another look at this picture, I see what you mean:

IMG_4654_zps948qhqkq.jpg

I don't remember any big gap, or difficulty climbing the ladder, though the photo makes it look that way.

While beside the boat, I handed up my camera and fins, then I went to the ladder. Climbing up was fine; it was at the top of the ladder on the outside, transitioning to getting in the boat, that I stretched or what-have-you a bit.

Just thought of something; rinse setups. There's a bucket for masks, and separate from that, a large cooler for cameras. They can hand your camera to you if you like; I just back-rolled in with mine, but it's a compact (Canon G16 in a FantaSea housing with no external strobe added).

Richard.

I'm about 6'1", so maybe not the best judge, but I didn't find the steps too far spaced. Where I found it a bit awkward was swinging my right let over the top of the hand grip, into the boat, or just stepping over into the boat without lifting my leg over (which is awkward geared up with a tank on my back). Taking another look at this picture, I see what you mean:

View attachment 480221

I don't remember any big gap, or difficulty climbing the ladder, though the photo makes it look that way.

While beside the boat, I handed up my camera and fins, then I went to the ladder. Climbing up was fine; it was at the top of the ladder on the outside, transitioning to getting in the boat, that I stretched or what-have-you a bit.

Just thought of something; rinse setups. There's a bucket for masks, and separate from that, a large cooler for cameras. They can hand your camera to you if you like; I just back-rolled in with mine, but it's a compact (Canon G16 in a FantaSea housing with no external strobe added).

Richard.

And I see what you mean about swinging your leg over into the boat. Now that you mention it, I really do hate those kind of ladders that have such higher handles above the gunwales Iof the boat. My short legs have trouble getting over those and then stepping down into the boat. LOL

In that picture I can see a rung right at the water level which isn't a really large gap but the first time I saw it my mind tricked me into thinking the hidden rung is farther below the surface. It's an odd perception thing that the thing we can't see must be (and then our mind fills in the blank for us). If it was just a few inches below the water like I imagine it is, it would be a large gap but look again and it really is right at the surface which is manageable.
YSMV

Actually, if I remember right, there are two more rungs under the water.
If you stand on the top of the ladder, you don’t have to swing a leg over
the top hook. Just step on the seat and down to the deck. Really easy
ladder to use compared to some i have used.

I was on the boat with him and don't remember any ladder difficulty. I don't swing my leg "over" the top rails but "between" the rails. Just step through. And I could easily grab the rail of the canopy for support. Biggest issue is the step down into the boat is about the depth of two ladder steps. But usually by the time you get to the top of the ladder there's a mate there to hold your arm and help you.

And I see what you mean about swinging your leg over into the boat. Now that you mention it, I really do hate those kind of ladders that have such higher handles above the gunwales Iof the boat. My short legs have trouble getting over those and then stepping down into the boat. LOL
Hey Chilly! Getting on that boat is a bit awkward for us vertically challenged :wink: but its not so much the spacing of the rungs but the step over the edge of the boat. I have to grab the frame of the canopy to steady myself then lift leg up and over to the ledge in the boat. Then bring my other leg over and then hop down to the boat. Thankfully there is almost always someone there to help. Another year or so, maybe less, and I will be handing up my gear to board. :(

I have never analyzed why but for some reason their other boat, the Loan Shark, is easier to board.

Day 1.) Palancar Bricks, Paso del Cedral, Santa Rosa, Paradise Reef.
Day 2.) Palancar Horseshoe, Yucab, Tunich Wall, Tormentos.
Day 3.) Paso del Cedral, San Francisco Wall, San Francisco Wall, Paradise Reef.
Day 4.) Palancar Gardens, Dalilia, La Francesa, Yucab.
Day 5.) Punta Sur (I was told Cathedral, but 2 guys did Devil’s Throat on this dive), Columbia Shallows, Yucab, Las Palmas.
Day 6.) Palancar Caves, Paso del Cedral, Tormentos, Las Palmas.
Day 7.) Santa Rosa and Paradise Reef.

Absolutely fantastic trip report! I was wondering when you'd make it to Coz. My only complaint would have been THREE (as in 3) (as in TRES) dives of Paso del Cedral on the morning dives over a 7 day period? I can't stand spending my dive $ on that fly-by/fly-over dive Paso del Cedral seems to deliver over and over and over again. I get it... That dive tends to virtually guarantee multiple sightings of turtles and sharks but I've seen enough of those. These days I like looking for more uncommon and special things to photograph without being blown away by the current. Paso del Cedral downright stinks for what I like. I'd prefer to see another Horseshoe, Gardens, Bricks or Caves any day and scratch one or, better yet, two of those Cedral dives over a 7-day period.

Oh well, we'll be back for our 5th annual December 2+ week dive trip with 3P's and I'll be giving Steve crap (yet again) every time I hear Paso del Cedral mentioned. That being said, I'd rather dive with 3P's and tolerate an extra Cedral dive here and there than dive with any other op.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom