Trek wings and LP 95 doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A used DR Classic Wing for $75 sounds like a steal if it's in good shape - heck, if I didn't already have a DeepOutdoors 55 lb wing I got for < $100 brand new, I'd PM you for the details on the DR Classic Wing. But, between the 2 of us (my wife & I), we have 6 wings of different lift capacities, ranging from a pair of DR Super Wings with dual bladdrs at the high lift end to her DR Jr. Wing and my DR Travel Wing at the low lift end of the spectrum, so we have enough mix & match capability already.

You may want to chat with your cave instructor about the DR Trek Wing and sidemounting - that's something DR advertises highly for the Trek Wing and formerly for the Jr. Wing. Of course, that's what their $75 sidemounting kit for the Trek Wing is based on. We've never used a sidemounting configuration ourselves, but we're not cave or hard overhead environment divers.

http://www.lizardland.co.uk/sidemount.html

I think you'll be alright, especially if you switch out that steel plate for an AL one. Cave diving you don't need a significant amount of extra lift, as long as you can breathe on the surface you're fine since we don't have waves to deal with and we don't spend much time on the surface anyway and it cuts down on your swimming profile.

Lemme know if you don't plan on picking up that Classic.

I've decided to trade my tall steel 95's for the smaller painted Faber lp 98 doubles and give my trek wing a try today at peacock. I'm also going to take the classic wings to try also. According to DR Express the Trek should be fine (DiveRite has not updated their spec page but DR Express has consulted DR and the trek wings should be fine with the 95s).. Well we will see.
Jim has two used Classic wings, an older model with two grommet holes and a later model with four grommet hole plus a tank band slot.
I'll keep you informed after todays dive.

Chuck

Well the results are in. Picked up my new (used, hydro three days earlier Faber LP 95 doubles (traded my big galvinized 95 singles) and went to Peacock.
First dive: Trek Wing, steel backplate, 5mm FarmerJohn wetsuit w/hood, two complete regs,two cave reels, 3 lights, computer, snips and of course all the clips for all the stuff.
Entered the water and had to inflate wing very full to stay comfortably head above water. Did saftey check,bled air and started my descent into Pothole entrance. Kept adding air to control descent. Wing getting full. At 42 feet the wing was so full it started to press against my sides but hadn't started to burp air yet but it was the fullest I had ever had to fill it....hmmmm. Knowing that depths at pothole will be around 71 feet I felt that I was just on the edge of wing capacity I turned the dive.
Second dive: Switched to the Classic Wing.....No problem..very good dive. Very good control.
Conclusion: The Trek Wings might be fine with my doubles without all the cave stuff in fresh water and should be fine in saltwater but the Classic wings are the way to go for cave diving.
I will keep my Trek wings with my single tank bands/adapters for when I dive singles ( I will try them in fresh water without the cave stuff to further test the T-wings with my doubles) but it will be the Classic for cave.

And the best part is cost. Trading in my big two single 95s w/ H valves for the Faber 95s with bands and isolation manifold, 3day old hydro and VIP: $200.
Classic wing (used): $75

Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom