Treading water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been away 2-3 weeks and believe I was responsible with the DMC vs. OW confusion. Sorry all.
I think with the DMC tests that as I said, standards should be enforced to the letter as far as passing everything and becoming a certified DM.
Where the "extra" or "different" requirements would be reasonable would be if you were to become a DM who works for that shop. Then they could require you jump over the moon and I'd not argue.

He also want 3 points or better on all the swim test. Not sure I can.

Point 1: You may have understood the meaning. You need a total of 15 points over 5 skills - so Average 3 per skill.

Tread water and Equipment exchange (stress test) are Easy 5's so there's 10 straight away.

Point 2: There is a reason for these tests. They're not a just box to be ticked. While I'm happy with someone to get a low score on the 400m swim - the others not at all. The reason for this is that as a Dm you may need to jump in and rescue someone and need teh stamina to carry out the 100m tow or the 800m swim with mask snorkel and fins. The 400m not so much (unlikely you'll jump in without any gear.

So if you can't make a good score, and don't want to put in the work to get a good score, you should reconsider being a DM.. Being a Dive Pro isn't' just a card to brag about, it carries responsibilities. You either agree to accept them and work at yoru fitness etc, or don't' be a DM. Simple

Point 1: You may have understood the meaning. You need a total of 15 points over 5 skills - so Average 3 per skill.

Tread water and Equipment exchange (stress test) are Easy 5's so there's 10 straight away.

Point 2: There is a reason for these tests. They're not a just box to be ticked. While I'm happy with someone to get a low score on the 400m swim - the others not at all. The reason for this is that as a Dm you may need to jump in and rescue someone and need teh stamina to carry out the 100m tow or the 800m swim with mask snorkel and fins. The 400m not so much (unlikely you'll jump in without any gear.

So if you can't make a good score, and don't want to put in the work to get a good score, you should reconsider being a DM.. Being a Dive Pro isn't' just a card to brag about, it carries responsibilities. You either agree to accept them and work at yoru fitness etc, or don't' be a DM. Simple
Agree completely. Especially about the chances of you doing a rescue with no fins is very remote and unadvisable according to the rescue course.
It still irks me that some instructors twist the standards to suit what they want. You should be able to get a 3 on all tests and should strive for that, but all that's required is the 15 points one way or another. Maybe the requirements should be changed. I wrote a bit post years ago on Going Pro when I was taking the DM course. Things I thought should be changed to make the stamina tests more relevant to what you may actually do as a DM.
Requiring more than the standards as a prerequisite for being hired by the shop--I have no problem with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom