Treading water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazing stuff. My wife can float in a pool vertically without any arm or leg movement. Others ask how she can be standing in the deep end--they can't believe she's floating. Whereas in fresh water on my back, my feet/legs sink like stones. And SHE can't believe THAT.

A little inherent buoyancy helps, but to completely eliminate the scuffle is exemplary. Good diver.

I sink like a stone, impart because I do not have a lot of body fat. When I did my 15 minute tread, I simply laid on my back, and held my breath as much as possible to keep my lungs full, and therefore float.

I sink like a stone, impart because I do not have a lot of body fat. When I did my 15 minute tread, I simply laid on my back, and held my breath as much as possible to keep my lungs full, and therefore float.

I probably have more body fat than you. Still sink like a stone due to legs that still think they're 20 years old (no fat there...). But that's a good idea, breath-holding full lungs--I must try it next time I'm in a pool. Still seems like more work to me than drown proofing, and something I wouldn't want to depend on if really "out at sea" in need of 9 hours of floating in fresh water.

The "tread" is very easy. I had been sick, real sick with a respiratory infection, for the entire month before my DM classes. No exercise whatsoever and my lungs were way out of shape.

I am a major league sinker. Even my instructor was surprised. For the tread, I alternated between floating on my back and drown proofing. It was over before I knew it. Remember that you only have to have your hands out of water, not your entire arms.

MX727, Exactly, if you know the right method for yourself. As I asked before, why is this then part of the "Stamina" tests when almost no stamina or strength is involved?

So for the PADI Divemaster tread water test is it ok to;

Float face down, lifting head out periodically to breathe.

So for the PADI Divemaster tread water test is it ok to;

Float face down, lifting head out periodically to breathe.
yes

Thanks, that is consistent with how I interpret the PADI requirement. My instructor asked me to keep my mouth out of the water, i.e. face up the whole time.

I'm not sure I want to challenge him on this. Could be he just wants us to be highly proficient, and go above and beyond. I think that's a good thing, if I can pass.

He also want 3 points or better on all the swim test. Not sure I can.

Thanks, that is consistent with how I interpret the PADI requirement. My instructor asked me to keep my mouth out of the water, i.e. face up the whole time.

I'm not sure I want to challenge him on this. Could be he just wants us to be highly proficient, and go above and beyond. I think that's a good thing, if I can pass.

Steady swim will get it done. I took off like a shot out of a cannon when I did it the first time cause I had been swimming a good bit to get ready for it and I was nervous. I smoked the first 100 yards. Unfortunately, I had gassed myself doing so and limped through the next 300.
Just swim a steady pace and you'll do fine. Get some practice in so you can learn what pace will suit you for the time you want.

i think he wants to make sure you're still breathing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom