Travis viz below 100'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loosebits:
I miss the windex layer.

I would say in late march is when the windex layer should start to form so hang tight.
Till then Marianna is calling you and your crew. Remember cool weather & no mosquitos
A couple of my crew are pulling off a dive at Blue Bonnett hole next weekend I will post
if there is anything of intrest.

Later Guys
Dave

Ps:Gregg thanks for the Vis update post.
Folks, Gregg is Top-Shelf when it comes to vis reports.

If someone has a detailed map of Travis here is my question.

One is at the northend at Richard's place at WP. how much #36 line would be needed if one tied in to the exisitng line at the RB and headed directly across the lake setting up a permanent line to do future RB traverses?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Teknadv3x:
What exactly went on? Dave

is that someone purposedly introduced a non-native species into the water body and irrevocably changed its ecology. Do some reading on the severe problems zebra mussels have caused elsewhere. Once established, they are essentially impossible to eradicate.

Doing this in a lake the size of Travis is a stupid, irresponsible idea.

ps: Thanks for the compliment, Dave. Marianna in early March for us.

Dave,
I have a scaled map of the area and understand your starting point at WP. But what is RB?
If you head directly north to arrowhead point it is aprox. 1/2mile with depth in the 110 to 170ft. Looks like lots of good canyons.

If you head due west towards 'shallow Travis landing' the it is 3/4mile. However, it gets shallow halfway across rising from 170 fast to 80 to 20ft. The deep section runs next to windy point.

Hope this helps. Let me know what RB stands for and I will recalculate.

Andrew

Teknadv3x:
If someone has a detailed map of Travis here is my question.

One is at the northend at Richard's place at WP. how much #36 line would be needed if one tied in to the exisitng line at the RB and headed directly across the lake setting up a permanent line to do future RB traverses?

Thanks in advance
Dave

cyklon_300:
Doing this in a lake the size of Travis is a stupid, irresponsible idea.

Gregg I was just curious what happened in the pond the guy posted about.
Have no intent to put any of those critters anywhere. I read something about them clogging drains, spillways and such. I was just wondering how they caused that kind of vis.

Dave

Crazyduck:
Dave,
Let me know what RB stands for and I will recalculate.

Andrew

RB stands for river bed. We are toying with the idea of putting in a permanent line so crews could do a traverse and have line to follow. They would enter at Richard's WP go down with the bottom go across the riverbed and come up with the bottom on the other side of the lake. Anyways I was wondering the aprox. distance straight across the lake. Also what is the distance between the
banks of the riverbed?
Gregg any idea how deep the mung is in the RB?

Thanks in advance Andrew,
Dave

Teknadv3x:
Gregg I was just curious what happened in the pond the guy posted about.
Have no intent to put any of those critters anywhere. I read something about them clogging drains, spillways and such. I was just wondering how they caused that kind of vis.

Dave
I'm not a Nazi-Eco-Terrorist
I'm just a regular old Texas scuba diver that likes clams
and I have this to contribute.

Fact: did you know that the USA has the more types mussels then anywhere else in the world ! Look it up... its fun! I think North Carolina has the most types....
We have over 1/3 of the world species here in the USA
There are some fantastic ones up in Oklahoma about the size of a softball:D
Then again Maybe I'm just dreaming I do that a lot.

I know you don't have clue who I am and that's OK and please don't take my word as the law written in stone but the zebra mussels are little bad asses and screw things up big time.... sorta like the ducks & chickens in China are doing with the Flu, the Zebra Mussels are doing a little at a time to our lakes here in America.
They live on just about anything and do not have to go through the normal life cycle that the other native mussels go through. They reproduce fast and even live on the shells of native mussels. So... The native mussels die and that plays a role in the life cycle of certain fish we enjoy too and they die off.

Zebra Mussels, well , the little nasty SOB's, they just suck

The old riverbed runs right in front of windy point and (according to my map) at the 170 to 180ft section. The riverbed seems to run due north south through this section which it maintains its depth. The riverbed seems to have windy point as a sharp canyon wall and then the other side rises slowly. I can’t talk to actual bed I am sure Greg can cover that topic.

Will the bottom composition hold a line or are you going to make your own?

What kind of profile would you like for decompression purposes?

Regards, Andrew

Teknadv3x:
RB stands for river bed. We are toying with the idea of putting in a permanent line so crews could do a traverse and have line to follow. They would enter at Richard's WP go down with the bottom go across the riverbed and come up with the bottom on the other side of the lake. Anyways I was wondering the aprox. distance straight across the lake. Also what is the distance between the
banks of the riverbed?
Gregg any idea how deep the mung is in the RB?

Thanks in advance Andrew,
Dave

I think you would have a hard time installing a permanent line in the river channel.It is essentially flat and pretty featureless. The mung goes at least from fingertip to shoulder. I was involved in a search last year.We were laying a thick line and securing it with tent stakes, the line had disappeared into the silt after 20 minutes or so.

We're establishing a line course thru the pecan trees on the public side and it's pretty simple to find tie-off points (that is, if you can see more than 6 inches)...but, once out in the river channel, there is basically nothing to use as way-points.

As Ian describes, you can extend your hand up to the armpit and still not find anything solid in the silt layer. You might try experimenting with long (6-8'?) sections of small diameter rebar as anchor points, but I have no idea how secure they would be once driven into the silt layer. Not sure what driving rebar into the silt would do to the vis, but I've got a hunch it won't improve it...

Each zebra mussel can filter up to a quart of water per day, removing the native algae, which improves the water clarity, but does a complete whack job on the lacustrine ecosystem.

Here's some info on them:
http://cars.er.usgs.gov/Nonindigenous_Species/Zebra_mussel_FAQs/zebra_mussel_faqs.html

In the current political climate, some people seem to define an eco-terrorist as anyone who actually has a working knowledge of and concerns about blatantly abusing natural systems and resources. So, I probably am one....and I don't mind the label.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom