Travis viz below 100'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loosebits

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any idea what the viz is in the 100-150' regime at WP or the dam? Any idea when it will start improving? I miss the windex layer.

from someone I trust was that on Jan17 at WP, >100' vis was near zero. My personal observation on Dec31 was that it WAS zero.

Lake usually starts getting better in March, but who knows, it's a dynamic system with lots of variables.

loosebits have you been diving over this 'winter' season much? A small group of us have been hitting Tx./Ok. ponds regularly over the past few months.....great time to buddy line dive and enjoy those cooler water temps.. Heading to Murray this weekend for some bottom time.

Not really, when things start hitting the low 50's I usually call it quits. I need a new hood :)

loosebits:
Not really, when things start hitting the low 50's I usually call it quits. I need a new hood :)

Alot of Texas divers seem to do that,,,,get a new hood and get diving,,,,,been such a warm winter this year......better take advantage of what water is left in the ponds---if the weather cond. continue on this pattern may not be any Tx. inland diving this summer--lol! Hope all else is well for you,,,,we need to dive some together in the season ahead considering we live in the same town. Take care.

Yesterday, I dove Mansfield Park dive area. Vis to 50 feet was about 5 feet. The sunlight helped. That's what it appeared at the barge and shallow sailboat which is in 25-30 feet of water now. Below 50 feet is dark and 2-3 foot, if that. Below 100, 2 foot or less. A couple of spots was pretty much zero. Water temp I got was 57 degrees. It is supposed to rain tonight and in the morning, so the above could change for the worse.
Also, there cannot be any fires and grilling at Mansfield Park. All grills are taped up or covered with bags and taped up due to the fire ban. I would assume that applies to the other parks around Lake Travis.

All this bad vis just means more miles on the truck and more trips to mills pond, maybe in the future a caravan of us can head out there and rent the big boat to split costs.

FIXXERVI6:
All this bad vis just means more miles on the truck and more trips to mills pond, maybe in the future a caravan of us can head out there and rent the big boat to split costs.

Mill Pond,,,as in Merritts??

Do what we did in Pennsylvannia. We "accidentally" added some Zebra Mussels. Viz is 40-60 feet year round in my pond.

BILLB:
Do what we did in Pennsylvannia. We "accidentally" added some Zebra Mussels. Viz is 40-60 feet year round in my pond.

What exactly went on?

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom