Travis Tec divers finding new stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ms mirth

Registered
Reaction score
So with levels at Travis this low and rec divers getting to go where tec divers generally hang out, what sort of coolness are tec divers finding that used to be out of reach?

So with levels at Travis this low and rec divers getting to go where tec divers generally hang out, what sort of coolness are tec divers finding that used to be out of reach?

Not sure that anything was out of reach when the lake was full.

Only difference now is more time can be spent on the bottom with less deco.

I've swam accross the bottom of the dam and in the river channel when the lake was over full.

I haven't been out since the lake has been down,

At normal "Full" lake level (remember what that was? ) the deepest you can get in Travis is around 170-180. That is not an unreasonable depth . Just a lot less hassle to get there now!

The bottom is actually pretty boring.Just a flat silt plain. The "River Channel" makes it sound much more dramatic !

I do want to get out to the Shaker Plant sometime in the next few weeks.

I believe I may have found a gold laden Spanish Gallion off the coast of Windy Point - hard to tell for sure with only touch contact. It may have just been some trees, rocks, and fishing line...

I believe I may have found a gold laden Spanish Gallion off the coast of Windy Point - hard to tell for sure with only touch contact. It may have just been some trees, rocks, and fishing line...

:rofl3: Good one....

Well, they've pulled a couple of cars out at Pace Bend that have been reported stolen since 1988 or so. And a motorcycle...

on tues we found a single fin, in perfect condition, at 65' off the 1st cove at windy pt public; straight out from the 'stump' and then a few feet right. had planned to go back for it but never did. it's propped upright, so should be more visible. if the lake were full that would have been way below rec limits. :) also found a table parasol at maybe 45 ft.

in the pecan grove there's enough light to see the tree tops.

most of the fish were around 20 feet. fair # of minnows, a couple of small cats, and a group of 6 or more 8" guadalupe bass (i think). http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/gdb/ they were hanging out together and hiding in a tree stump when we went over them.

do fish move up and down with the water level? -> do fish stake out territory and move only under duress or do they tend to hang out at a particular water depth?

we had decent vis most of the time (4-8 ft?) but we were the only divers there and we kept running into big swirls of silt in the water. (_ahead_ of us :) ) maybe we were trailing one of those awful lake travis diver eating catfish that have been disturbed by the dropping lake levels. they usually stay at deeper tech levels.

Last edited:

Well, I'd say with the extra distance and vertical to get in and out, that they're finding out what kind of condition they really are in!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom