Travis Report -- March 27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dove Windy Point last night (the 27th)

Surface temp was mid 60's

Viz was great -- I'd say 10-12 feet minimum (I could see the platform from the surface)

No real thermocline, though I only hit 40ft

Thank you for posting the conditions. We have 5 people headed that way for an AOW class this weekend. It helps me with the suit choices!

UT weather station is showing 50’s temp and 100% humidity- rain.
So Debra sending out the kids in 5mils :D .

Andrew

http://wwwext.arlut.utexas.edu/omg/weather.html

CURRENT TEMPERATURE 63.3 F
HIGH TEMPERATURE 64.9 F 3/28/06 4:49
LOW TEMPERATURE 59.4 F 3/28/06 8:40
WIND CHILL FACTOR 63.3 F
BAROMETRIC PRESSURE 29.60 IN steady
RELATIVE HUMIDITY 100 %
HIGH HUMIDITY 100 % 3/28/06 0:02
LOW HUMIDITY 100 % 3/28/06 0:02
DEWPOINT 63.3 F
HIGH DEWPOINT 64.9 F 3/28/06 4:49
LOW DEWPOINT 59.4 F 3/28/06 8:40
WIND SPEED 6.0 MPH
WIND DIRECTION 160 SSE
PEAK WIND GUST 22.0 MPH 3/28/06 7:51
PRECIPITATION TODAY 1.87
PRECIPITATION YEAR TO DATE 6.01 INCHES

Mares 6.5 mil Isotherms and 2 piece Bare 7MM Supras. I also just blue labled some of the Excel 7/6/5 Vortex's in. Between my 9 OW's and, and 5 AOW's and then UTA I am tapped out for this weekend. Oh my gosh and the weight needed, forget about it. It's crazy!!!!

Went to Barstows this afternoon between the Flash Floods and was very pleasantly surprised. The vis ,down to around 40 feet is,by Travis standards exceptional. I would estimate it as 23.284 feet.

Below 40 feet it starts to degrade and by the time you get to 100 it is just plain nasty (approximately 7.492 inches)

ianr33:
Went to Barstows this afternoon between the Flash Floods and was very pleasantly surprised. The vis ,down to around 40 feet is,by Travis standards exceptional.
Very nice dives today Ian. Glad we decided to give it a chance. I was downright pumped by the time I got back to the hotel. What a good way to spend the afternoon. I got 59 deg at 20' and I checked around 70' and it was 55 deg. Definitely the best vis I have seen at Travis. I am looking forward to seeing that windex someday. I will try and post some picts later this evening.

Willie

Willie:
I am glad you got to go diving!!!!!
That visibility does sound incredible for Travis.
Tom

ianr33:
Went to Barstows this afternoon between the Flash Floods and was very pleasantly surprised. The vis ,down to around 40 feet is,by Travis standards exceptional. I would estimate it as 23.284 feet.

Below 40 feet it starts to degrade and by the time you get to 100 it is just plain nasty (approximately 7.492 inches)

That's too bad, I won't hit the lake with less than 8 inches of viz at 100'. Does anyone know how bad the highland lakes upstream got hit over the last few days, and if we should expect rising lake levels sometime soon?

PvilleStang:
That's too bad, I won't hit the lake with less than 8 inches of viz at 100'. Does anyone know how bad the highland lakes upstream got hit over the last few days, and if we should expect rising lake levels sometime soon?

I heard last week that the plan was to lower the lake level a bit more. Those rich folks on Town Lake gotta keep their boats floating...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom