Travis conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dark Eternal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What has Travis been like recently? I'm thinking of heading down in the next few weeks. When does the lake start to turn and vis go to crap? Expected temps at the end of the month?

We dove Starnes Island and Scuba Park today and viz was still 10' or so. The temps are beginning to drop, surface temps around 81, dropping to 79 at 60'.

Dove Windy Point - Barstows today ... temp bottomed out at 76 on both dives with depths of 80' and 67'. Viz was fairly decent until we came up to mid-40's and higher, as the classes were out doing their thing.

Was at windy point on friday evening (3rd) and vis was about 10 feet, sometimes more, best I've seen in the last few months.

Don't put your towels on the grass though, fireants are out in force

Here are a couple of posts from the ISO Riverbed Conditions thread:

Zinc and I spent a little time at the riverbed tonight. Here's the essentials:

Temps: Surface - 82 degrees, Max Depth - 63 degrees
Max Depth: 147'
Visibility - 10'+ from surface to 40', 5' from 40'-100', 10'+ from 100'-147'

We swam in an southeasterly direction straight out from the shore, parallel to the dam. We entered the water just east northeast of the boat ramp.

We followed the bottom for approximately 700' before turning the dive. We were down on the riverbed for a little over 5 minutes. Viz never varied.

We found plenty of junk on the way to the riverbed...a wad of bungees, a roll of duct tape, some odd metal part we couldn't ID, misc. beer cans and plenty of the usual junk.

Anything else you need to know, just ask. :D

On Friday morning I dove at the Mansfield Park dive area to 122 feet. From 75-95 the vis is zero to 1 foot. Below that it opens up, but not like it did last week. Vis is a dark 12-15 feet, but there is a lot of particulate floating around. Water temp at 120 is 63 degrees, down from 65 degrees last week. I was getting 79 degrees at my deco stops, 30 feet and up.

The lake has been changing a lot lately. Viz has been variable and temps are dropping. I'd suggest asking this question again right before you are ready to head over this way.

Don't put your towels on the grass though, fireants are out in force
Tell me about it!! DH got quite a few bites before we realized the grass was just chock full of the buggers. It's feet up, or keep the boots on!

Visibility at Mansfield last night was absolutely gorgeous. No more floaties in the water. I'd call it 15 ft horizontal visability, limited mostly by strength of dive light(s). Consistantly good vis to 80. No notable thermocline. 77 degrees, colder out of the water than in after the sun set.

Was out at Windy Point this morning .... low temp was 75 at about 70' .... we'll be out again tomorrow morning. Got to get the diving in before the temp drops too cold and we run out of water in the lake! :wink:

I didn't get to dive today, but I was out at Lake Austin just on the other side of the dam. The water was cold, as usual, but darn clear. Anyone interested in doing a drift dive from Emma Long Park down to wherever we end up? At least it won't be the same old, same old WP or Mansfield. :wink:

i didn't get to dive today, but i was out at lake austin just on the other side of the dam. The water was cold, as usual, but darn clear. Anyone interested in doing a drift dive from emma long park down to wherever we end up? At least it won't be the same old, same old wp or mansfield. :wink:

yes..........:d

Back
Top Bottom