travelling with backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always understood the ruling to say the bottle couldn't be under pressure so I've always removed my valve and carefully packed each in plastic bags. When the cylinder shows up on the scan...and it will...they will see it is empty and not under pressure and have always let it thru...even post 9-11.

Not real happy to just stumble on this topic. Am going to Coz in Feb and planned on taking a pony. Anyone remember if DFW airport still has lockers you can rent or did they go with 911? Went to south america 3 weeks ago and found out I am on the TSA no fly list! They had to call Houston and get me clearance can you belive that SH&T. The agent said I have a common name and this happens alot. She also said that I was cleared for the return trip. Ya right I thought I would never get out of Bogota' and I damm near didn't. Anyone else on the no fly list? I am batteling with the TSA as we speak. Sorry got off the topic alittle-alot. Damm I am still MAD. I am going to post this some where else!

domino22 once bubbled...
Not real happy to just stumble on this topic. Am going to Coz in Feb and planned on taking a pony. Anyone remember if DFW airport still has lockers you can rent or did they go with 911?

No Lockers at DFW since 9/11, or mailboxes. Not even as many trashcans.

I'll be going to Coz, with my Pony, the last week of January, and I'll report on the experiences. However, it seems that while the airlines have not been enforcing this, TSA has had the rule along - which the agents I've encountered so far have not enforced. They may start at any time.

Shipping the pony ahead and then back would be cost prohibitive, so I'm just going to take my chances, I guess...

don

dandydon once bubbled...

No Lockers at DFW since 9/11, or mailboxes. Not even as many trashcans.

I'll be going to Coz, with my Pony, the last week of January, and I'll report on the experiences. However, it seems that while the airlines have not been enforcing this, TSA has had the rule along - which the agents I've encountered so far have not enforced. They may start at any time.

Shipping the pony ahead and then back would be cost prohibitive, so I'm just going to take my chances, I guess...

don
Thanks. I have left my dental pick and moustache scizzors behind no biggie. But the pony is a virgin and alot more $$

Slingshot, this is my company's policy on tanks, which only addresses additional cost for baggage and does suggest that tanks are allowed onboard. Most airlines follow similiar rules across the board, but TSA will most likely be the one with final say, so concentrate on them.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as part of the free baggage allowance. Scuba equipment in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.

An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a service charge of the applicable excess baggage charge. Contact Continental Airlines Reservations at 1-800-525-0280 or at our worldwide reservations numbers for service charge rates.

An item of SCUBA equipment consists of one empty SCUBA tank or one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport. The empty scuba tank and a separate dive bag containing SCUBA equipment will be charged as two separate pieces.

Continental is not liable for damage to Scuba diving equipment.

dandydon:

4. Same idea, different configuration. Something like this:
http://www.aquaexplorers.com/double_bands.htm

Looks interesting, but the extra 80s on a boat thing again.

For boats that will allow extra 80s, this looks really interesting. I've read it pretty closely, but I'm not clear. Will they fit my Oceanic Probe BC, or will I need a new BC?

You'd need to alternate breathing off tanks, to avoid being unbalanced as one empties, huh?

Man, all I want is a bail-out bottle, and they screw it all up. For the record, I would not want to settle for a Spare Air, but then - those look covered by this prohibition, too...?!don

Normally you would breathe 1/3 of the air in one tank then switch to the other and breathe 2/3's then switch back to the first tank to finish the dive so in normal rules of thirds use virtually no assemetry exists.

Alternatively, if you are breathing off one tank through the entire dive and only using the other tank as a bailout, you should still have no significant problem. If one tank is full and the other near empty and you stop motionless in the water, you may slowly roll to one side after 10-15 seconds but you will not notice the assemetry during a normal dive. You can also plan ahead and load a couple pounds of weight in a BC pocket on the side you will be breathing off prior to the dive as you will then reduce any assemetry to around 2 -3 lbs max.

Carrying two tanks on the boat is not normally a problem especially if it is a two tank trip. You could breathe off both tanks and dive with the idea that each tank is "empty" at 1500 psi on the first dive and plan accordingly to ensure a full 80 cu ft for the second dive.

Alternatively, you could skip the math and unfamiliar psi amounts and gear up with both tanks but then breath off only one for the entire dive and keep the second as a REALLY large pony. Then you can swap tanks from side to side during the surface interval (an easy thing to do with the Aqua Explorer bands). On the second dive you would then use the fresh tank as the primary and use the "empty" as the pony bottle. With 500 psi remaining, an AL 80 will still have 12.8 cu ft in it, so if you maintain the customary reserve on the first dive, you will have at least 13 cu ft in the "pony" for the second dive. The two pounds of trim weight would go in the BC pocket on the pony side for this dive.

The Aqua Explorer bands will fit any standard BC as long as it has holes in the back pack to accomodate the 7/16's or 3/8's bolts needed to attach a set of double bands. They do not need to have the standard 11" centers.

You can certainly take an extra reg. How about e-mailing or phoning ahead to the shop you will be diving through and ask for a rental pony bottle? I'm sure with advance notice they could borrow one from one of their instructors or A+ customers to rent out for a few days, if they don't have one in rental stock.

theskull

slingshot:
but I haven't found much by way of pony rental's in Maui

Yup, I've had the same problem. I'm going to Hawaii next month and can find "small tank" rentals in Kona, but no joy in Maui.

Here's a crazy idea... maybe cruise around on SB to see if there are any locals in the area who will be diving when you're there. Maybe you can luck out and find someone who has similiar objectives and planning methods.

For what it's worth, I just talked to an ATA gate agent here in Chicago about that and was told it should be fine as long as the bottle is empty and the top is removed. Bottom line, I think you got a gunshy ticket agent.

Backtanner:
For what it's worth, I just talked to an ATA gate agent here in Chicago about that and was told it should be fine as long as the bottle is empty and the top is removed. Bottom line, I think you got a gunshy ticket agent.

The problem is with T.S.A. - not the airlines. Go back to Panles 6 & 7 here:

don

Back
Top Bottom