Travelling Safely to Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davemmb

Reaction score
A friend and I are thinking about going to Indonesia to dive. His daughter would come with us. However, she is in the military and I was just told that no one in the U.S. military is allowed to go to Indonesia. Then I checked the Govt. web site and it says that no U.S. citizen, unless they absolutely have to, should go to Indonesia right now.
I don't think it's the tsunami, I think it's terrorists.

Can anyone give me their experience on a recent trip there? Obviously, if you're back to report, you made it safely. But you can still tell me what your feelings were about safety and the attitude of the people. We're thinking of going to North Sulawesi, which is supposed to be safer than most places there, but the Govt. site did say to avoid ALL of Indonesia!

Thanks for your help,

Dave,

I'll be heading to Indonesia in a few weeks (through Bali to Southeast Sulawesi). Our trip was booked over a year ago, and though I didn't know it at the time, the Travel Warning suggesting that Americans defer all "non-essential" travel to Indonesia was in effect at that time. It's my understanding that it goes back to a 2002 terrorist incident in Bali in which seven Americans were killed. There have been two subsequent bombings in Jakarta (one outside the Australian embassy). All are credited to Islamic extremists with ties to al-Qaeda.

During the year plus that I've monitored the Travel Warning (through subsequent attacks, elections, etc.), little has changed. Australia's warning to it's citizens is equally severe. That said, during the same period, I've also read several travel reports from divers who headed to Indonesia with great apprehension, only to find that their trips went off without a hitch. You might also check travel reports from surfers who were similarly undeterred.

When I mentioned the travel warning to other members of our group, the reaction of most was indifference, and that the risk was no greater than driving a car, flying in a plane, etc. They felt that, while a reminder to observe "vigilant personal precaution" was never a bad thing, the potential for an incident to occur here (in the US) was as likely, if not more so, than our travel destination, and the odds of being in the location of the incident a matter of fate in either case. One pointed out that if other countries issued comparable broad warnings against travel to the US after September 11th, there would be few international travelers coming into the country, and if we applied the same criteria to ourselves, there would be a warning in effect to defer non-essential travel to New York.

I would rather that the warning not be in effect, as "fear" or "potential threat" are not thoughts one typically associates with the anticipated idyllic nature of an exotic vacation destination. It has raised my awareness, and like most, my comfort level is greater with the known than the unknown. However, I've never checked travel warnings before this trip, and may have blissfully traveled under similar circumstances unknowingly.

There are some areas of Indonesia where the warning seems more applicable, but it has been applied to the country at large. The impact on the economy, particularly in areas like Bali that rely on tourism, has been severe. The government and tourism boards have been trying to get the message out that travel, in general, is safe, and that the majority of the population welcomes us with open arms. They were suffering before, and recent events have obviously made the situation worse. They are relying on those willing to travel despite warnings to get their message out, or they will be struggling indefinitely (tsunami and related recovery aside).

The tsunami, which hit over 1000 miles from the areas that we're travelling to, has also heightened our awareness of the incidence of earthquakes (at least seven in the last three months). Earthquakes have always been prevalent in this area, but until now, few would have known. FYI, recent quakes affecting Bali and Sulawesi have caused damage to buildings, not people. Again, something to be aware of, but had a catastrophic event not occured, news of these relatively common events would likely have gone unreported or unnoticed here.

When it comes down to it, it's up to the individual to determine their own comfort level in whatever activity they engage in, wherever it may be. I'm not suggesting that one throw caution to the wind, but to evaluate the specific information at hand and put it into perspective. In our case, the area that we area travelling to in Southeast Sulawesi seems too remote to be a target for anything but diving. The travel warning has been in effect for several years, the vacation opportunity is here now, and there's no guarantee that circumstances will ever be "better". With that in mind, and the anticipation that the diving will meet or surpass anything we have experienced to date, we have collectively deemed this "essential travel".

I hope to report back at the end of May :wink:

davemmb:
A friend and I are thinking about going to Indonesia to dive. His daughter would come with us. However, she is in the military and I was just told that no one in the U.S. military is allowed to go to Indonesia. Then I checked the Govt. web site and it says that no U.S. citizen, unless they absolutely have to, should go to Indonesia right now.

Can anyone give me their experience on a recent trip there? Obviously, if you're back to report, you made it safely. But you can still tell me what your feelings were about safety and the attitude of the people. We're thinking of going to North Sulawesi, which is supposed to be safer than most places there, but the Govt. site did say to avoid ALL of Indonesia!

Thanks for your help,

I don't have any recent experience, but we went to Bali/Komodo a year ago while the same warnings were in effect and are heading to N. Sulawesi in June (yahoo!). We never felt unsafe while in Bali and the warnings had absolutely no effect on our current trip planning. There are definitely some places in Indonesia that I would avoid, but it is a huge country with many islands and cultures and it is not fair to the people there (many of whom depend on tourism) to lump them all together. On the other hand, I don't blame the govt. for issuing the warning. The US govt. has to be cautious because in the very unlikely event that there was a terrorist incident, and they hadn't issued a warning, lots of people would then whine and try to blame them. This way, no one can say the govt. didn't warn them.

Anyway, the truth is that these days, random acts of violence or terrorism can happen anywhere. Prior to 9/11, who would have thought that NYC would be on the short list of places high in terrorist activity?

Thanks Marie,

I look forward to hearing your report in late May. Of course, by then, I'll most likely have made my plans to go there. I guess what I was really looking for was some reassurance that it would be OK. You did.

Truth is I'm so old that no matter what happens, it's too late for someone to cut my life short. And I can't wait until the world is "safe" for me to travel.

So....North Sulawesi, muck diving and a new D70 camera...here I come.

Thanks again,

Dave
I'll be heading to Indonesia in a few weeks (through Bali to Southeast Sulawesi). Our trip was booked over a year ago, and though I didn't know it at the time, the Travel Warning suggesting that Americans defer all "non-essential" travel to Indonesia was in effect at that time. It's my understanding that it goes back to a 2002 terrorist incident in Bali in which seven Americans were killed. There have been two subsequent bombings in Jakarta (one outside the Australian embassy). All are credited to Islamic extremists with ties to al-Qaeda.

During the year plus that I've monitored the Travel Warning (through subsequent attacks, elections, etc.), little has changed. Australia's warning to it's citizens is equally severe. That said, during the same period, I've also read several travel reports from divers who headed to Indonesia with great apprehension, only to find that their trips went off without a hitch. You might also check travel reports from surfers who were similarly undeterred.

When I mentioned the travel warning to other members of our group, the reaction of most was indifference, and that the risk was no greater than driving a car, flying in a plane, etc. They felt that, while a reminder to observe "vigilant personal precaution" was never a bad thing, the potential for an incident to occur here (in the US) was as likely, if not more so, than our travel destination, and the odds of being in the location of the incident a matter of fate in either case. One pointed out that if other countries issued comparable broad warnings against travel to the US after September 11th, there would be few international travelers coming into the country, and if we applied the same criteria to ourselves, there would be a warning in effect to defer non-essential travel to New York.

I would rather that the warning not be in effect, as "fear" or "potential threat" are not thoughts one typically associates with the anticipated idyllic nature of an exotic vacation destination. It has raised my awareness, and like most, my comfort level is greater with the known than the unknown. However, I've never checked travel warnings before this trip, and may have blissfully traveled under similar circumstances unknowingly.

There are some areas of Indonesia where the warning seems more applicable, but it has been applied to the country at large. The impact on the economy, particularly in areas like Bali that rely on tourism, has been severe. The government and tourism boards have been trying to get the message out that travel, in general, is safe, and that the majority of the population welcomes us with open arms. They were suffering before, and recent events have obviously made the situation worse. They are relying on those willing to travel despite warnings to get their message out, or they will be struggling indefinitely (tsunami and related recovery aside).

The tsunami, which hit over 1000 miles from the areas that we're travelling to, has also heightened our awareness of the incidence of earthquakes (at least seven in the last three months). Earthquakes have always been prevalent in this area, but until now, few would have known. FYI, recent quakes affecting Bali and Sulawesi have caused damage to buildings, not people. Again, something to be aware of, but had a catastrophic event not occured, news of these relatively common events would likely have gone unreported or unnoticed here.

When it comes down to it, it's up to the individual to determine their own comfort level in whatever activity they engage in, wherever it may be. I'm not suggesting that one throw caution to the wind, but to evaluate the specific information at hand and put it into perspective. In our case, the area that we area travelling to in Southeast Sulawesi seems too remote to be a target for anything but diving. The travel warning has been in effect for several years, the vacation opportunity is here now, and there's no guarantee that circumstances will ever be "better". With that in mind, and the anticipation that the diving will meet or surpass anything we have experienced to date, we have collectively deemed this "essential travel".

I hope to report back at the end of May :wink:[/QUOTE]

davemmb:

Thanks for your help,

Hi Dave,
I've been to both Indonesia and Malaysia over the past three years with "travel warnings" in place the whole time. We're heading over to both N. Sulawesi & Eastern Indonesia (Raja Ampat) this weekend.

There are also US travel warnings out right now for travel to Cancun because of the recent behavior of some of the police!

There ARE areas in Indonesia that are less safe for Americans, for sure, but most of the area is perfectly safe. North Sulawesi is considered one of the safer regions; Bali was perfectly beautiful in fall of 2003 and we never felt unsafe for one moment.

I think all of us just have to take care not to act like "ugly Americans" and not stand out....the Indonesians in general love to have us visit their beautiful country and go out of their way to make us feel welcome....book your trip & enjoy!

Hey Dave, I lived there for quite some time. The majority of the country is beautiful, and for the most part the diving is excellent. Most of the places you are going to be perfectly safe.

I'd make the trip, especially to N. Sulawesi...couple of things to look into/consider. The earthquake activity has not been usual. They've had hundreds of quakes/aftershocks (in the 6.2 range even), and they are moving in the general direction of Krakatoa and Java. Volcanic eruption imminent? Who knows...maybe, maybe not.

The Travel Warning has nothing in common with the travel warning to Mexico; it's far more serious. Do they overdo it?...sure they do, but us Americans love drama. BUT, they're not kidding about when they say terrorist activity, and it's not just in remote parts of Indonesia that this takes place. Mind you, most places you'll go you'll likely have no problems. Also, keep in mind, tourism is one of their main sources of revenue...so they will take care of tourists. These people aren't going to do anything that would result in Indonesia taking action against them...the Indonesian military is very effective when it needs to be.

Couple of words of advice....stay to main tourist areas, and don't be stupid. Don't go out and party all night in shady places, etc.... and make sure you are hooking up with a group over there. Unless you're very comfortable travelling, I wouldn't recommend going it alone on this trip.

MOST OF ALL...Indonesians are some of the friendliest and most helpful people on earth. Don't be scared of them in general, a smile and a polite nod will go miles with almost anyone. You'll see a quick smile back and they'll probably try to use some English on you. Conversly, be a pompous jerk, or act like you're better than them...prepare to have a bad time.

You'll probably have a great time if you go...but keep in mind, there are always risks involved pretty much wherever you travel.

Back
Top Bottom