Question Traveling with Weight Integrated STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A number of years ago, I was still seeing Brits show up in the Caribbean carrying “adjustable spanner” wrenches in case they wanted that porthole off of a wreck.

In skiing, I had “bump skis” and I had downhill longboards. I learned a hard lesson one day- I took my Monoski to go heli-skiing with Tommy Moe on Denali. He’s still waiting for me at the bottom.

In the Winter, I guess I could put winter tires on my Acura NSX, or maybe just stuff it in the garage and drive the CJ7 Jeep. Hmmm

Tailor your rig to the dive. It’s really not a one-size-fits-all thing, no matter what JJ told you.

Warm water, pretty fish. BC’s work for everybody else. Doubt they’ll show you the entrance to the Bonaire caves, anyway.

(carrying lead weights on an aircraft, boggles my mind. What’s the plan when you start really traveling to actual world class, far flung destinations… like Jamaica?)

6 pounds. The removable lead insert weighs 4 pounds.

as others have suggesting I would say just chuck it in your carry one. STA does not take up much space and if you put it in a rolley bag you probably will not even notice the extra 6lbs.

I have brought all kind so dive gear in my carry on (to save the weight in my checked bag) all over the world and never had an issue, including backplates, rebreathers heads, entire rebreathers, once had 10 first stages in my rolley bag, massive DGX order of about about 10lbs of SS hardware etc.. Only thing that ever raises a flag is lots spare Lo-ion batteries or large canister lights. I have noticed in Asian they always want to see these but once they see them they are usually find with it.

@Doc , wise words in general, but I believe there is something to be said for diving with one's own familiar gear to the extent possible and adapt it to the conditions. I could dive a rental jacket BC if I had to, but my BP/W can be versatile. The OP will figure out his weighting dilemma.

Reactions: Doc
I travel with Halcyon BP/W with the 6 #STA. I keep outbound gear bag, including BP/W and 3 mil wetsuit, mask/fins/regs/misc., just under 50#. (I roll another 40 ish in camera gear onboard!) On return trip, my gear bag would be overweight so Regs go in my backpack. By the way, if your BP/W is held together with 2 wing nuts, I would advise inspecting and tightening them before each dive. Mine worked loose regularly and I have replaced them with Delrin nuts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom