traveling with regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suddha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have a couple of trips coming up, into which I want to incorporate some diving. I'll be traveling with a laptop computer and then checking a suitcase and my diving bag, with my gear. I have never flown anywhere to dive and have heard it is best to carry on the regulator, in a padded case. Given the fact that I'll already have a laptop with me, it's not so convenient for me to also carry my reg on the plane as well. Does everyone carry on their reg, or can it be packed carefully in the checked luggage, so as not to sustain damage?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Why can't you carry both?? I travelled with both recently... my reg and a couple of novels in the regulator bag, my laptop tucked under my arm, plus a purse - no problem!

Really, it's sensitive equipment, and you must have seen how those bags at the airport get pummelled around... it's your gear and your choice, but why on earth risk it?
Katy

suddha:
I have a couple of trips coming up, into which I want to incorporate some diving. I'll be traveling with a laptop computer and then checking a suitcase and my diving bag, with my gear. I have never flown anywhere to dive and have heard it is best to carry on the regulator, in a padded case. Given the fact that I'll already have a laptop with me, it's

You're allowed 1 carry-on bag (fits in overhead) and a purse/briefcase.

I have a Pelican hard-sided case for the laptop, and my carry-on bag gets my mask, regs, computer, 1 change of clothes and any meds/contact lenses and logbook.

Terry

I never carry a regulator separtely.. I don't see any reason.

It is more than safe enough to put in a check-in luggage with some clothes, even for an international flight (more than 14 hrs). I think I have more chance to bang it on the boat.

Just my 2 bar..

Yes, I am carrying my notebook all the times.

I always carry on my laptop, reg/computer and my mask. I check the rest.
I put my carry on's in a small bag that fits under the seat or in the overhead and they all fit in there just fine.
Used to be every time I went through check in with my reg in my carry on I ended up with everything getting searched as they wondered what the heck I had in there. Now, before it goes through the scanner I just mention that there is a reg in there, I get an "Oh, OK" and the searches have stopped. Or maybe they are just getting more used to seeing them?

suddha:
Hi,

I have a couple of trips coming up, into which I want to incorporate some diving. I'll be traveling with a laptop computer and then checking a suitcase and my diving bag, with my gear. I have never flown anywhere to dive and have heard it is best to carry on the regulator, in a padded case. Given the fact that I'll already have a laptop with me, it's not so convenient for me to also carry my reg on the plane as well. Does everyone carry on their reg, or can it be packed carefully in the checked luggage, so as not to sustain damage?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

After about 50 trips out of the US, I've always put my reg in my carryon(wife puts hers in her carryon), way too easy & a little piece of mind to boot........and we travel now with a laptop too......

I always carry my reg with me (even though I rarely fly) in the carry on.

Do you have a laptop backpack? It would be quite simple to put the laptop in it's designated area, with the reg in the regular compartment. You'll only be stowing it in the overhead... not like it will be getting tossed around with baggage handlers.

We have very nice regulator bags, but rarely use them. When hubby and I flew to FL a few weeks ago, we put the regs in a small duffel.... we had too much to carry on, and the small duffel served a better purpose than a gazillion small bags (including 2 reg bags).

I used to carry my reg on, but then realized the hose for the Tusa Duo Air I was using was going to make having to rent a piece of gear pretty useless. My LPI hose wasn't going to mate up to the LPI hose on the rental bcd.

Since then, I've been packing my reg and computer in my dive bag since about 1995 or so and haven't had any problems at all.

Scuba.com:
I used to carry my reg on, but then realized the hose for the Tusa Duo Air I was using was going to make having to rent a piece of gear pretty useless. My LPI hose wasn't going to mate up to the LPI hose on the rental bcd.

Since then, I've been packing my reg and computer in my dive bag since about 1995 or so and haven't had any problems at all.

I thought the same but have an Air II, so bought the small adapter for it. Now I can take my reg and can use a standard BC, (just need to add an octo) if my BC gets sidetracked.

Thanks for all the opinions... I can understand why people carry on their regs - delicate, precision, expensive gear. But on the other hand, I have traveled the world with fragile stuff (e.g., wooden carvings, bottles of booze) carefully packed deep inside a big suitcase with no ill effects.

The laptop backpack is a good idea. For business trips with diving, I will ditch my conservative laptop briefcase for my Timbuk2 laptop backpack. The front slot fits my reg nicely while the padded sleeve still accomodates the laptop.

This winter, I am headed to Sri Lanka for a month and will be carrying on my DSLR camera and a small carry-on. So I think the reg will then get carefully packed in a checked bag for the long journey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom