Traveling with personal tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segraves1

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm really close to getting a PST steel HP100 (local guy is selling it) for my own personal use (plan to have it oxygen cleaned then use it for either CLEAN AIR and Nitrox). I have a DIN reg which makes renting tanks a pain. Once I have this nice little tank, the thought of leaving it behind is sad. If I drive (Cali, Mexico, etc...) I'm fine, but I fly to most places (going to the Keys this summer). Is it possible to check scuba tanks? Do they just count it as another check bag?

Chris

The short truth of the matter is... just don't do it. Not worth the hassle and pain.

The only situation where flying with your own personal tanks are warranted is when you: a) own the airplane, or b) have such a specific requirement for *those* tanks (eg. like a rebreather) that you'll no way no how be able to rent suitable tanks.

I have several DIN regulators and routinely use a DIN-to-Yoke converted without issues. Sometimes I get lucky and they have a DIN valve or Pro-valve where I can actually use my DIN regulator as a DIN regulator (what a concept!).

Thanks, yeah I just went out to American Airlines site and read their baggage section. $100 and you have to remove the valve (which now you need the tank cleaned all over again when you get there), that's just not worth the trouble. Guess I'll be buying a DIN-to-yoke adapter.

Make sure you dive with the adapter before you go on a trip with it. In most cases it's fine, but with some BC set ups (like a BP/W with no STA or a transpac) adding the adapter can put the reg very close to the back of your head and cause some uncomfortable bumping. If that's the case, you'd be better off just getting a yoke 1st stage and using that for travel.

Removing the valve for airline travel is not any big deal and most shops will understand why your cylinder is empty and will not require a vis. Though they might take a quick peek just to be sure.

Do a search on traveling with a pony bottle.

The biggest problem is that a cylinder weighs 35lbs which leaves you less than 15lbs for your other gear. So you are going to be checking a second bag. Many airlines are now charging for 2nd bags on international flights. Delta will start charging $50 after 1 July.

As for the $100 fee - don't ask - don't tell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom