Traveling with medications & supplements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've scoured the web to see what the rules and regulations are vs what actually happens in practice - so I know that for international travel I need to have my meds packed in their original containers and probably have a printed list of meds signed by my prescribing doc. But I still have a couple of questions and am hoping that someone hear can speak to them.

Have any of you used the pill packs when traveling internationally? I'm thinking it would take up less space but wonder if they fulfill the requirements.

Next question is about supplements. My supplements come in MUCH bigger bottles than medications, so if I keep them in the original containers it'll take up the lion's share of carry on sized bag because I have FIVE big supplement bottles. But if I take them out, how will anyone at customs know that they're supplements and not medication or contraband? Recommendations?

How they “should” know? Scrip meds have very specific known colors, shapes and markings. (Google identify them using “pill ___ ___ ___” , like “pill blue 747”) But first, tell me...How did an inspection got that far? You hit some kind of specific profile selection critera.

If it’s a med that is popular for abuse, certainly take your original Rx bottle.

Taking along (for “proof”) a labeled Nutritional Supplement bottle containing otherwise unidentifiable OTC meds would certainly prove nothing to an agent but again- what made the inspection get that invasive? Try to appear as a smiling blond female from St.Louis. That might go a long way.

Asian and African countries, certainly in tertiary ports of entry, that could maybe become a stumbling block. Not a topic in the Caribbean. They’ve seen Americans dragging all sorts of potions and remedies along.

So, where really are you going? That will somewhat narrow down the crazy factor part of the equation.

We're going to Spain, Portugal and Morocco, but we are flying in and out of Madrid - the rest is by bus. I suspect I'm overthinking this. I just don't want to make a mistake that will ruin our vacation - especially if there is an easy way to avoid issues.

I travel with Prescriptions in their original pharm bottle. If it is something that could raise flags I have script. Otc's I bring in blister packs if possible and I will cut pertinent info(dosage etc.) off box to have on hand. Supplements... I am lucky that I have vitamins in packets so I throw them in a big ziplock. If you are talking about supplements like Turmeric then I would probably keep them in their bottle. CBD I would leave at home.

Like Doc said... you would have to really do something wrong to get that kind of an inspection. I have been pulled for inspection but have never had anyone look at my meds. Usually it is about the camera gear and electronics. I have been to all of the above with no problems. I carry on the meds I need like prescriptions and maybe a little cold, pain etc to ward off any crazy pop up illness and I pack all the other stuff.

Two different things here, Customs (after Passport Control) and their TSA. Similar net effect as Cali Diver mentions.

Spain, Portugal and Morocco, but we are flying in and out of Madrid - the rest is by bus.

These above country’s individual passenger ports of entry Customs are concentrated on actual terroristic threats (and to a lesser extent the human carried importation of specific bulk pack drugs) all based on the incoming routes, nationalities and very specific profiles. You ain’t it, even after coming thru Morocco.

Passport Control by air thru Madrid, a non-issue for you.

Transiting later borders by bus, if it’s a tour bus, good luck even getting your Passport stamped. On a public bus, you may be of mild note to a Border Agent, but they’re really not interested in North Americans unless you’re a “backpacker”, then they might put on their “Customs” hat.

Flying back out of Madrid? TSA-like control points are a different issue. (No...carrying a remaining few personal amount of pills is not really something on their list) Their TSA is a real barrier for terrorism, not Security Theater that we’ve been deluded into believing is a worldwide norm. Sit up straight, they take this security stuff way more seriously, as they have had any number of things continue to blow up in their countries.

Due to the occasional appearance of dive shops from Spain Portugal and Morocco here on SB, I will not say that the diving there is marginal but I will say they know a bit about eating, drinking and history. Enjoy.

@Doc, thank you so much. This does put my mind at rest a lot. I can't imagine being on anyone's radar for any type of criminal activity and I'm well mannered in public!! :wink:

Kimela-
If you mean the actual packets put together by the PillPack pharmacy, the one bought up by Amazon last year?
I don't know if you're getting those or something similar. The "genuine" PillPack ones have the name and dosage of every pill printed on the plastic, but that's still not the same as having an actual rx or doctor's letter with you. Pillpack can also actually be very bulky and inconvenient, as they will only put 6 pills in one plastic packet--and those bulk up. Also, if your rx's were written as "twice daily" or "once daily"...PillPack will insist on placing each pill in a packet that says "8am" or "6pm" and if your doc has written an rx to take advantage of dosing (i.e. your insurance/deductible/dosage availability make it advantageous to say "take twice" instead of one larger dose)...PillPack can wind up being a RFPITA.
Presumably Amazon will do some housekeeping before making them their national pharmacy, perhaps later this year, but as of now, I'd rather put meds in the "ice cube trays" or the circular (moisture tight) containers.

If I were a cynical customs inspector, I'd see the plastic pill pack and still give it no credence at all. Too easy to home print just about anything. Including...pill bottle rx labels, hmm, yeah.(G)

My wife and I travel a lot: Europe, Asia, Central and South America, Australia/NZ and more. We never take meds in original bottles. Always in pill organizers with no labels. Been to Spain and Portugal multiple times but not Morocco recently. Never a problem anywhere.

We are not supplement takers, so can't comment on them.

@Rred, CVS is now offering something like Pillpack. You have to use the service entirely online. Thanks for the heads-up on it being a RFPITA! Good to know. I do have at least one script that I don't actually take as often as is on the label (to save $$) and I can see how that would be a problem - among others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom