travelers checks in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishfry once bubbled...
Just got back from CZM last week. I would only use Travelers Checks for your dives. The stores love cash, remember they only want to give change in Pecos.

In my experience, the shops on Cozumel have usually given me change in whatever currency I used for the transaction. Occasionally, they have given me pesos when I gave them dollars, but they nearly always ask "Pesos OK?" first.

ggunn once bubbled...
In my experience, the shops on Cozumel have usually given me change in whatever currency I used for the transaction. .
Chedraui, the superstore across from Plaza Las Glorias, always returned change in pesos.

Since they have an excellent exchange rate, I found it convenient to make small purchases with US$20 or US$50 bills and receive enough pesos for daily walking around money.

It seems that they try to have the best rate in town, in order to attract local customers that have US$ from the tourist trade.

Tropics Diver once bubbled...
Chedraui, the superstore across from Plaza Las Glorias, always returned change in pesos.

Yes, I wasn't thinking about Chedraui. Another way that it is different from the tourist shops is you won't find much, if any, English spoken there.

FWIW, I always use ATM machines when I travel abroad. I get the best exchange rate that way, and I don't have to bother with traveler's checks or large wads of cash. Nor do I have to plan ahead! (I like that part best). :D
If you have an ATM card that acts as a Visa, you should be good to go.

SueMermaid once bubbled...
FWIW, I always use ATM machines when I travel abroad. I get the best exchange rate that way, and I don't have to bother with traveler's checks or large wads of cash. Nor do I have to plan ahead! (I like that part best). :D
If you have an ATM card that acts as a Visa, you should be good to go.

Except that it leaves you at the mercy of Murphy in the case of systems malfunctions which still do occur, albeit more rarely than in the "olden days" of electronic money transfers. If you are abroad somewhere, and an ATM malfs and eats your card... In the words of Karl Malden, "What will you do? What will you do?" ;^)

Carrying cash is an obvious risky proposition, but traveler's cheques are no bother at all, IMO.

ggunn once bubbled...

"What will you do? What will you do?" ;^)

Carrying cash is an obvious risky proposition, but traveler's cheques are no bother at all, IMO. [/B]

What I"ll do is bring along a second credit card and have my wife carry it.
Anyway, there's no one right answer, but it seems to me that the days of traveler's checks have really almost disappeared.:)

JeffMandell once bubbled...

What I"ll do is bring along a second credit card and have my wife carry it.
Anyway, there's no one right answer, but it seems to me that the days of traveler's checks have really almost disappeared.:)

You think so? I'd have to disagree; I still see lots of folks using them when I go to Cozumel, and my credit union still sells tons of them. I personally prefer them to any other payment method when I'm in Mexico. YMMV, of course.

scubajen once bubbled...
ggunn,
do you know what the normal fee is to use the money machines in Coz?

The fee for ATM on Ave Rafael E. Melgar (main drag S of Ferry) was a whopping $10.50....

I think I will try to avoid using the money machines then.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Or do they even have .50 pesos? Maybe a dumb question, but I hate the idea of paying $10.50 USD.

I know it's expensive in resort towns though. Someone told me that in Las Vegas it's around $25!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom