Travel snorkel fins and question about Force fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heckofagator

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in need of a relatively inexpensive set of travel fins for warm weather snorkeling. This will be mostly from boats or the beach with no boots, etc. Just want something easy to pack and that does somewhat well for its size. I've read a few of the travel fin threads here and have seen good comments about Aeris Accel, Aqualung Hotshot, Hollis F2 and the Force fins.

In fact, I've seen that some may have gotten the Accel's at Leisure Pro for $50, which might be right up my alley pricewise. Although the Force fins are intriguing, I'm just not sure if they'd be worth the extra money.

But I did have one question about them - I see some labeled as the FISH model as seen here:
Force Fins Black XL Scuba Snorkel Swim Fins | eBay

But from Force's website, it just appears to be the same Original Force Fin that's also in the snorkeling section? Are these one and the same?

Any comments about how the Force might compare to the Accel, knowing the Force would probably have to be purchased used for maybe double the price?

Thanks!

If you looking for a fin that doesnt require boots, the Hot shot are the only ones mention you can use barefoot. You can go barefoot with Force Fins but you will need the padded insert. I use to use Force Fin Pros and now use Accels. Both fins will give you plenty of power for casual snorkeling. If your snorkeling on the surface you will have to modify your kick with the FF because there is no resistance with the return kick and youll bring your foot right out of the water. I'm a big fan of the Accels and if you can get them for $50 its kind of a no brainer.

thanks for the thoughts. I'm glad I asked. I don't know if LP still has the Accels for $50, but I think that's the way I was leaning. I've sold all of my scuba stuff and don't plan to use these fins for both snorkeling and scuba, so I really think I need something that works with bare feet. Going to do a little more reading on the Forces, too. But it looks like, depending on price, the hot shots might be the way to go.

The Force Fins are expensive and not for everyone, much like Jets and Split-fins are not for everyone. They are smaller lighter, but my experience with them is that they were completely useless. I tried them in quarrys, a river and the ocean. After each dive I threw them to the side and swore I'd never use them again, but I was driven in trying to figure out their secret. I finally gave up and sold them. It was an expensive lesson. You don't need expensive fins for travel, remember people have been and still do dive with cheap fins everyday with no negative consequences.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "Try before you buy whenever possible."

Last edited:
I have used Force Fins for years SCUBA diving and snorkeling. I think they are the best Scuba/Snorkel fins on the market. I think only two versions of Force Fin are available now, the regular Force Fin and the Force Fin Pro. The regular Force Fin are great for snorkeling. They are not as light as other brands of fins, but the open pocket is awesome for not getting toe or foot cramps. No to mention they really propel you through the water.

The Force Fin Pro are what I use for Scuba Diving. The Pro models are a little stiffer and allow a diver to propel easily in the water with heavy dive gear.

I have recently looked several times on the website for the Tan Delta's but they don't seem to be available any longer. Right now it looks like Force Fin might be going trough a restructuring or reorganization.

I think these are a great fin, however I think the designer/owner doesn't have the best business sense and the overall brand has suffered for it. In the mid 90's to early 2000's you could find them everywhere i.e. Sportschalet, Dive Shops and Out Doors shops for float tubes. Now they only have a few retail shops and they are telling everyone to order through the website. https://www.forcefin.com/

Have you tried looking into full foot fins? They are not shorter but are much lighter and cheaper than open heel fins.

I'm open to anything. I was searching around and everything seems to be mostly focused on diving, from what I can tell. But yeah, I'll see what I can find on full foot fins. Any particular suggestions? Thanks!

I think I'm going to pass on the Force's now, unless I can find a local place to at least try them on.

I think these are a great fin, however I think the designer/owner doesn't have the best business sense and the overall brand has suffered for it. In the mid 90's to early 2000's you could find them everywhere i.e. Sportschalet, Dive Shops and Out Doors shops for float tubes. Now they only have a few retail shops and they are telling everyone to order through the website. https://www.forcefin.com/

Gosh, Kind of hurts when someone publically say's I don't have the best business sense, without all the information. My good friend, it's about Manufacturing in the USA and cost of goods. At one time we had over 800 plus dealers here in America, and distributors in 17 countries. Our products were everywhere and we were making very little money for our efforts, while making millions for others. Our production cost skyrocket beginning in 2001, and kept going up and up and up. The dealers, they wanted lower and lower cost, with their business model being driven by China. We let them fall to the wayside, now, Force Fin customers come to us and a few loyal dealers and distributors, and we're making enough money to have bought out our shareholders, my wife and I own the 100% now, and we're selling enough to grow.

ForceFin.com was one of the first 200,000 web PAGES in existence, and we have always been available for online purchase. I appreciate your support and will continue to support American manufacturing.

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2014 at 01:48 PM ----------

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2014 at 02:02 PM ----------

Heckofagator, Please do not be misguided by these negative comments. We have been making the best fin in the world for over 40 years now. We have a money back if not happy with any one of the Force Fins you might choose. I wonder if a fin cost $50.00 with a 400% margin built in, the China/Asia manufacturing cost would be around $2.50. I can't even get a McDonalds meal for that price. Plus who the HELL wants to put a fin on the foot.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrktkL9nnZU&list=UUvhYeQ6hYptVuhgamaN717g

Full foot fins are absolutely the best choice by far for warm water snorkeling. Full foot fins are more efficient, more comfortable, and in most cases less expensive. Just be sure to get one with sufficient stiffness. These generally indicate that they can be used for scuba as well as snorkeling. Leisure pro carries lots of choices. Read the user comments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom