Travel between cayman islands....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you tried taking a twin otter from St. Martin to Saba? The Sabans claim to have the shortest commercial runway in the world; but it's plenty of room for a twin otter!

Like I needed to see that! I'm doing that trip in December :wink: Scariest airport for me so far is Telluride Co. Lets see if this can top it :)

You should use your aa miles to fly into miami and then fly directly into Cayman Brac on the cayman air 737. If your final destination is Cayman Brac, you want to avoid the grand cayman puddle jumpers at all costs. The difference in price / points is about the same.

We do both shore and boat diving on Cayman Brac. Our next trip is 28 July to 4 August. We rent out a big house with many sections for our shop customers. We go to the grocery stores and eat in the pizza places.

The shore diving is WAY better than Bonaire. The boat diving with the exception of going to little cayman are mostly the same sites as the shore diving. The dive shops will not go to some of the better shore diving sites that are easily accessible by car. I don’t think there is much shore diving in Belize. We have only gone from the boat there.

Don’t go in November, December, January, or February unless you want to take a chance.
You can fly nonstop from Miami to Brac on Saturday only. On the way home to Miami, you must stop in Grand Cayman, but you can fly the 737, again, Saturday only. My wife and I took the nonstop from Miami to Brac, it was a pleasure skipping Grand Cayman. Lately, I have simply been avoiding the weekend, coming and going to Brac or Little Cayman is quite easy during the week.

There are a fair number of sites off Brac, especially the deeper wall sites, that are not accessible from shore. Brac Scuba Shack has a nice combination of boat and shore diving Cayman Brac Scuba Diving | Brac Scuba Shack

If you consider the Clearly Cayman resorts (CBBR, LCBR, or CCGCR) be sure to ask what they will offer a single diver, because they have given single-diver specials in the past, especially during the fall which is a slower season.

Here are a couple of other places that offer single specials that you might want to consider. I think that the pricing will work out to be about the same. Although Anthony's Key appears cheaper and includes more, the price doesn't include the 19% staff or hotel service charges and it is usually more expensive to fly to Roatan than Grand Cayman. They both probably charge extra for Nitrox.

Sunset House Cayman Singles Special!

Jul 1, 2018 to Oct 31, 2018

Sunset House Cayman Singles Special

Sunset House Resort – Grand Cayman

From $1,991.10 for 7 nights

Sunset House offers many amenities for the diving and snorkeling enthusiast. With a variety of mid-bracket rooms, a quiet cruise-ship-free location on a rocky shoreline renowned for its shore diving, and only a 15 minute walk from downtown, the highly-recommended Sunset House is sure to please even the most avid diver. More about Sunset House here...

Tackling Being a Diver as a Single Traveler

Courtyard room: US$1,991.10 per person (single occupancy)

Ocean view room: US$2,357.03 per person (single occupancy)

7 nights with 6 days of diving, Breakfast, Transfers from and to GCM, Welcome Drink and Gift and all Tax and Service Charges

Valid for travel during the months of July, August, September & October 2018.

Sunset House Dive & Non-Dive Packages - Packages contain diving (if dive package), Breakfast, Transfers from and to GCM, Welcome Drink and Gift and all Tax and Service Charges.

Buy One Get on Free Roatan Vacation Packages | Anthony's Key Resort

Anthony’s Key Resort, Roatan, Honduras

Buy-1-Get-1-FREE Special ($1649 to $2499 plus 19% tax and hotel service charges)

7-Night Resort Package

What’s Included—
7-Nights Hotel Accommodations
Full American Meal Plan (3 Meals Daily)
Airport Transfers
Return Flight Reconfirmation
Welcome Island Cocktail and Orientation
Admission to Roatan Museum
Kayaking & Stand-Up Paddle
Day Excursion to Maya Key
Island Fiesta Night on the Key

Travel dates December 29, 2018 – December 21, 2019.

Hi kathy....

This is the local dive shop offer for brac...

https://www.aqua-adventures.net/dive-trips.html

Is other cayman resorts better bang for the buck than this offer?

What'd you pick if you were me...
Thanks!

Hi kathy....

This is the local dive shop offer for brac...

Dive Trips

What'd you pick if you were me...
Thanks!
We got the same deal at CBBR for $1400.00 for late January 2019 through Caradona. Air from NYC was $520.00RT

We got the same deal at CBBR for $1400.00 for late January 2019 through Caradona. Air from NYC was $520.00RT

Is Jan considered peak or off season? Is that flight to brac or gc? Stop over at Miami?

My concern is can i be sure of the fact there'll be enough divers for them to run the boat if i go there alone without a dive shop?

January is peak. You should be more than fine with having enough divers on the boat, especially at CBBR. We went to the Brac in May, which is low season, and were the only group on our boat with a different op most of the week but the CBBR boats were all pretty full when we passed them heading out to our site.

Jan/Feb is high season so must be popular as they charge more.

IDK if it applies on Brac but winter weather shuts down north side diving on Grand Cayman on occasion. Cobalt Coast moves their boats and shuttles you to them.

Members of my family (1 avid diver) own near CBBR - I've never heard of weather being a problem for diving there - and they've gone right after Christmas a couple of times..

If they get enough interest - and paid customers - CBBR may take a boat over to Little Cayman also. Happened for my buddy once. It's not much more.

Last edited:
You do understand how small Brac is right?

There's only maybe 2? other resorts there plus several condo properties. One of the others is Le Soleil d'Or Spa, not dive focused - also about $500/nt,

There's 2 dive ops - CBBR or Scuba Shack - fairly sure that's all there is.

Last edited:
Yes - the Brac is very small. I think you're right on the number of resorts. As a solo diver, I'm assuming CBBR would be your best bet. You could go out with Scuba Shack but you'd be at the mercy of other divers who are renting houses and booking with them. If they plan to be busy then it would likely be fine and after diving with them last month, they are one of my favorite ops to dive with to date.

The weather can only be an issue if the boats (this applies to both ops as they leave from similar areas) can't get out through the cut. Based on the conversations we had with the DMs with BSS, I don't believe they move their boats during the winter. We had one day canceled in May because the waves were too high to get out and one day where the waves were big enough that they were crashing over the top. In the winter, they try to make it out even in rough seas so if you're OK with hanging on tight and flying around a little, you'll be fine for the most part. This past year was apparently particularly rough during high season and it doesn't sound like they canceled many days. Even if it is rough getting out, the north side is very calm. We did a shore dive the day our boat dives were canceled and there was no current at all. You'd need to rent a car and find a buddy to be able to do that, though.

Both ops will take a boat across to LC for a surcharge, but the sea needs to be very calm. We weren't able to get across while we were there, unfortunately.

We were at LCBR last Nov and were able to dive Bloody Bay wall every day as well as a trip over to Cayman Brac. Understand we were really lucky.

I'm pretty sure the Otter has a better safety record than the big jets do. And I agree, Telluride is the scariest runway in the US for sure!

Reactions: mbs

Back
Top Bottom