Travel BCs and BP/Ws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sideband:
If you can make it out to Haigh this weekend I'd be glad to let you try my BP/W. My wing is a bit larger (doubles wing) than you will want so I get a bit more "tank wrap" with a single than you will with an appropriatly sized singles wing. That can make venting it a little finicky but not a big deal. I have to do some Master Diver checkout dives in the morning but will be hanging out Sat. afternoon for some fun dives. Let me know.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks so much for the offer but we are going up to Pearl Lake for the OW check-outs. I've never been to either so maybe I can get to Haigh soon.

John

Wow. Thanks everyone. BP/W is looking good. Since the SS plate is only a few pounds more I guess I would start with that.

One thing I didn't mention that is very pro BP/W for me is sizing. I need an XL fit BC but working at losing weight. I like the idea of just adjusting the webbing rather than buying another BC or even waist belt.

If you will suffer one more question... one poster mentioned integrated weights. This seems to add a lot to the cost (at least with Diverite) What are you all using?

jmps:
Wow. Thanks everyone. BP/W is looking good. Since the SS plate is only a few pounds more I guess I would start with that.

If you will suffer one more question... one poster mentioned integrated weights. This seems to add a lot to the cost (at least with Diverite) What are you all using?

Simple weight belt. Low tech, simple, cheap.

Oh, and on wing cost. Try Ebay. I knew back inflation was for me once I bought my Zeagle. I know the BP/W was for me once I realized it was the last BC I'd ever need to own.

Well, I much prefer a weight belt. But I never put more than 6 to 8 pounds on it, if any at all. With minimal weight, a weight belt sorta disappears. Now, for larger fellas, a weight belt can be problematic. Bigger guys tend to need more weight on the belt and this, coupled with the low "hip to belly ratio", results in a belt that wants to migrate south.

This might be an area where backplates offer a unique advantage. By using a heavy steel plate more of the required total weight can be put on the back as it is taken off the belt. This makes the weight belt more manageable and trim characteristics more favorable. Of course, the advantage of traveling light sorta goes out the window. It certainly is no fun to cart a 12 or 15 pound plate around in your gear bag. As bad as that sounds, it is the total weight of your bag that counts. So if you can manage to keep your gear bag to around 45 pounds or so it would be no big deal.

Nevertheless, a better option for you might be to just bite the bullet and get the weight pockets. The Halcyon jobs come in two sizes, as I recall. I have a pair of the smaller ones and though I don't normally use them, I do sometimes put them on one of my rigs that I'm lending out for others to try. They seem to work pretty well as most of the folks that I lend it to normally use weight integrated BCs. They like that particular similarity. They are pretty nice in that they attach to the plate and are kept nicely towards the rear of the waist belt. They also make dialing in your weights pretty easy...it's very easy to add or remove the weights in each pocket. Also, another advantage is that they do afford dropping weights in increments should the need arise. (Although that is another topic in and of itself.)

I suppose another option would be to use a weight harness. They have suspenders that keep the weight belt from sagging. I have no experience with these but there are a lot of guys that really like 'em.

jmps:
I am debating two setups and would like your take on this. I have read a lot about the BP/W setups here and know there is a bias toward them here. Here are my choices:

1. Buy an inexpensive travel BI BC (I have chosen Genesis Tropic) AND a BP/W setup for local Lake Michigan diving with a SS plate. My bias is that the BC would be easier to use than a harness setup with no shoulder releases etc... The issue is two kinds of setups. The XL Tropic actually has over 40lbs lift so I could use it for some local diving before I get the BP/W.

2. Go BP/W only. The issue is I would like aluminum for travel with a warm water wing and a heavy (SS) plate for local with a larger wing. So I end up with two setups anyway and the price is actually higher. Seems like it shouldn't be though. It's those pesky wing prices. A local shop carries DiveRite and I can get good support there so I am biased toward them.

Please let me know what you think. I need the travel setup for a trip in November so I have time. I am planning on doing Lake diving next year.

I have switched this year to a Zeagle SS/BP and wing with weight pockets,it's compact and I plan on using it on my next trip to Coz. In Feb I used an old plastic back pack and wing with a seperate weight belt(pouch style). The DM on the boat loved it and I'm sure if I would have taken that unit only I would have impressed the airline as well.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom