Travel BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So a report on my AL Rogue following Roatan last week (with Bananarama):

Overall: I made the correct decision in purchasing the Rogue. I splurged and added the alternate air source inflator to my BC, which further uncomplicated my setup (no octo).

Packing: dead simple breakdown and re-assembly. While you could probably use a car key to remove the individual elements from the mounts in a pinch, I brought a small flat head screwdriver with me. Breaking it down to 6 components (2 shoulders, 2 waist, back, and bladder) meant I could pack it easily. Very light which was great in my walk down the beach to the boats.

Comfort: Very comfortable in an out of water. One thing I needed to watch when setting up was the location of the upper back weight pouches. They had a habit of causing the back pad to sag when mounted on the tank. Easily corrected each time. I immediately noted the streamlining (compared with my former I3) when in the water. Very pleased with the lack of drag. I had 3 pounds in each pouch (2x on the back, and 2x in the ditch pouches). All the rings are in easy reach.

Features: Because I don't have an octo now, the octo "pouch" made a great loop to secure my torch and keep it out of the way. Pockets unfold and could probably hold quite a bit, but seeing as how Roatan reefs were so clean, I never used them for trash duty.

Negatives:
> I did NOT like the location of rear dump valve. It's very small and (in my case) in an awkward location for me to reach. I may replace the small tab with a 3d printed ball for easier access.
> I can confirm the "facedown" habit when fully inflated on the surface, but this was easily averted (just don't fill the damn thing up to max!).
> I'm not thrilled with the ditch pouches. While it was never a problem on the dives, if one were to release accidentally during a dive (or more likely on the surface), they are a PAIN to relock when wearing the BC. It would probably be easier to take it off, relock, and get back into the BC.

While I'm still a newbie diver, and I am improving with every experience, I feel a lot less restricted in the water with the Rogue, and I don't feel like I'm hauling a cart of bricks to the airport! :)

Attachments

• GOPR1022.JPG
    GOPR1022.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 62
So a report on my AL Rogue following Roatan last week (with Bananarama):

Overall: I made the correct decision in purchasing the Rogue. I splurged and added the alternate air source inflator to my BC, which further uncomplicated my setup (no octo).

Packing: dead simple breakdown and re-assembly. While you could probably use a car key to remove the individual elements from the mounts in a pinch, I brought a small flat head screwdriver with me. Breaking it down to 6 components (2 shoulders, 2 waist, back, and bladder) meant I could pack it easily. Very light which was great in my walk down the beach to the boats.

Comfort: Very comfortable in an out of water. One thing I needed to watch when setting up was the location of the upper back weight pouches. They had a habit of causing the back pad to sag when mounted on the tank. Easily corrected each time. I immediately noted the streamlining (compared with my former I3) when in the water. Very pleased with the lack of drag. I had 3 pounds in each pouch (2x on the back, and 2x in the ditch pouches). All the rings are in easy reach.

Features: Because I don't have an octo now, the octo "pouch" made a great loop to secure my torch and keep it out of the way. Pockets unfold and could probably hold quite a bit, but seeing as how Roatan reefs were so clean, I never used them for trash duty.

Negatives:
> I did NOT like the location of rear dump valve. It's very small and (in my case) in an awkward location for me to reach. I may replace the small tab with a 3d printed ball for easier access.
> I can confirm the "facedown" habit when fully inflated on the surface, but this was easily averted (just don't fill the damn thing up to max!).
> I'm not thrilled with the ditch pouches. While it was never a problem on the dives, if one were to release accidentally during a dive (or more likely on the surface), they are a PAIN to relock when wearing the BC. It would probably be easier to take it off, relock, and get back into the BC.

While I'm still a newbie diver, and I am improving with every experience, I feel a lot less restricted in the water with the Rogue, and I don't feel like I'm hauling a cart of bricks to the airport! :)

Any reason you went with the Rogue over the Outlaw?

Any reason you went with the Rogue over the Outlaw?

I looked at the Outlaw. My take was that the Outlaw was a "barest of bones" BC. I like metal D-rings to attach to with a satisfying metal-on-metal click. Also, the Outlaw didn't have the modularity (I'm a pretty big guy) and it fit me oddly.

Back
Top Bottom