Travel BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DreadnoughtNH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello folks! I know this topic comes up frequently, but I figured what the hell, I'll be *that* guy and pose it.

I've now been diving 2 years, and have about 100 dives and I'm still learning with every trip. I'm in no way an "expert" diver. I also know that newer gear does not make me a better diver. :)

Soon after my OWC, I "geared up" and purchased an Aqualung Dimension I3. My feeling was then, get gear that is *mine* that I can get comfortable with no matter where I am on the planet.

Two years on, I still feel it is a great BC, I particularly like the feel of the side toggle for quick inflate/deflate corrections. Overall, however, it has proven not to be the easiest to travel with (bulky and heavy). And although I live in seacoast NH, I am not interested in cold water diving, so the I3 has capability that I think is just wasted on me....

Me: 6'2", 250#, athletic build.
Diving: Warm water exclusively (>72F), from liveaboard or day-dive boat. 3mm suit, shorty, or less.
Gear: torch, whistle, sausage, reel.

I'm now AOW and nitrox certed. My buoyancy control and comfort in the water is overall good, but air consumption is still a work in progress (greedy oxygen needy muscles).

Because the lion's share of my diving is in a <3mm suit and requires a plane to get to, I'm considering trading out my I3 for something more appropriate for travel and the type of diving I'm actually doing. I've been considering:

- Aqualung Rogue (the most attractive to me, but also least info)
- Aqualung Outlaw (my fear is that it's almost "too basic," also the marketing is HILARIOUS)
- Scubapro Litehawk (seems well rated)
- Zeagle Covert (again, almost "too basic"?)
- Zeagle Stiletto
- Razor Bat (requires sidemount training, which is another thought and would alleviate the air consumption issue...or just create new issues :wink: )
- Other BC I'm not considering?

I'm looking for some input here. Should I just stay with the I3 and continue to improve my diving with the gear I already have? Am I right in thinking the I3 is more BC than I need given my preferences? Is there a BC I've listed that's "too advanced" for me?

I'd appreciate the feedback!

Scubapro Go.
For a bcd, for lightweight, very nice and comfy. I thought the soft tank mount would be a problem, but can't feel my tank with it on. It's not a lightweight backplate and wing, but for a jacket it's great!

And for other reasons, good to trade your i3. Interesting advice from BCD manufacturer

I am not understanding what you mean by the term "too basic."

I am not understanding what you mean by the term "too basic."

Forgive me. I realized that was a little vague. "Too basic" little or no attachment points, not a enough lift, etc.

Also, I note that some manufacturers claim that the BCD is for "the advanced" diver. I'm still a newbie, I guess?

I would like to add Oceanic Biolite and xDeep Ghost to your list. I have the Biolite and it’s a really good travel BC that includes 2 tank trim pockets and 2 side waist weight pockets so no need to pay more for them. It’s an easy grab-and-go type of travel BC. And there is a hard plastic back where your tank goes to reduce rocking and rolling. It also has 1.5 cam straps so better than many that just have 1. No crotch strap, which is a negative IMO.

The xDeep Ghost is lightweight and just really sexy (if that’s your thing lol), although you’ll need to buy weight pockets for it. The double crotch straps intrigue me.

Last edited:
Scubapro Go.
For a bcd, for lightweight, very nice and comfy. I thought the soft tank mount would be a problem, but can't feel my tank with it on. It's not a lightweight backplate and wing, but for a jacket it's great!

And for other reasons, good to trade your i3. Interesting advice from BCD manufacturer

Noted. I'm not a fan of jacket style BCDs, but I should find a shop that has it and give it a try.

Also, YIKES re: the lever system! THANKS!

Forgive me. I realized that was a little vague. "Too basic" little or no attachment points, not a enough lift, etc.

Also, I note that some manufacturers claim that the BCD is for "the advanced" diver. I'm still a newbie, I guess?

Yeah, Aqualung markets the Outlaw to advanced divers. It’s bs marketing IMHO. Just choose the 25 lbs bladder and it’ll be fine.

I saw another post about the Biolite. I'll see if a shop in my area carries it.

The xDeep is sex in gear form! But I also think it may be more advanced than what i need?

ok, so first one is to look at dry weight of the existing rig. From what I've been able to quickly find it's roughly 8lbs so we have to get under that. Why can't aqualung post the bloody dry weights?

Rogue-5lbs
Outlaw-5lbs
Litehawk-6lbs
Covert-4lbs
Stiletto-7.4lbs

So of those, the Litehawk and Stiletto are out because they don't reduce weight at all.
Going stsm is probably the best way to go for light and packable, but I wouldn't go with the Razor 2.0. New System - The Deco Sidemount
I have that rig that Andy commented about and it is what I would use if I was in your situation. Grab some weight pockets to put on the spine and you'll have something that travels a lot better than a bcd does. I would only use it for single tank sidemount if I was on liveaboard type stuff though. No sense in dragging a pair of tanks down and dealing with that. Downside there is if you use steel tanks you'll be listing quite hard to one side which is no fun.
$300 for something that packs in almost a dop kit if you're careful, would be where I'd personally go if weight/packing size is paramount. I personally use a stainless plate with a 30lb wing, but that's just me.

Of the ones listed above, I'd still look at a DSS Kydex plate. @cool_hardware52 weighed a Kydex plate with Torus 17 I think and it was about 5.5lbs. You can probably get it to 4.5lbs with plastic d-rings and waist buckle, but I wouldn't bother personally. Call it 6.5lbs with some weight pockets or a weight belt.

Now, the advantage of this and why I threw it out there. You specifically mentioned packability. The DSS plates are extremely flat, so you can stick it on the top or bottom of your luggage and pack around it with the cam bands removed. The wing is designed for easy removal and you can roll it up and stash it separate from the rig. All of the rigs mentioned above aren't modular, so you have to be careful packing/folding them.

Do not be concerned with "Advanced" or any of that marketing nonsense. Our program has taught thousands of students in backplates and wings from day 1 and they are no worse for the wear.

I saw another post about the Biolite. I'll see if a shop in my area carries it.

The xDeep is sex in gear form! But I also think it may be more advanced than what i need?

Haha, nope, I don’t think it’s too advanced for you! I’m lusting after it myself, despite already having 2 new BCs at home, one of which is the Biolite. I’ve got less dives than you. :p

Back
Top Bottom