Travel BC back support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef Tank

Contributor
Reaction score
Many of the new light-weight travel BCs do not have a rigid plate but instead just use padding under the tank. My wife is looking for a bc but she is petite and we are concerned the tank will press too hard on her backbone. One comment made at an LDS was that most of the time will be in the water and not walking around so it won't be a problem. It think I remember seeing one that used a heavier neoprene pad but most seem to crush easily. Has anyone noticed this to be an issue?

In the water and out, a rigid plate that couples the round tank to your flat back and spreads out the point of contact is more comfortable IMO. Padding is more or less useless for a BC, especially considering you're wearing a neoprene wetsuit already. It is true that the way a BC feels on land is very different than how it feels while diving.

Two really excellent travel set ups IMO are the Deep Sea Supply kydex plate/18lb tropical wing (or 20 lb DSS wing) and the freedom plate/18lb oxycheq machV wing.

I haven't tried the softplate setups that you describe. However, I have been using a hard BP for my warm water vacation diving for a few years now. Petite or not, your wife shouldn't have any issue with the tank digging into her vertebrae. I'm pretty skinny and with a 3mm wetsuit I've been very comfortable using a rigid BP. With less exposure protection, I could imagine that the straps might dig into the shoulders a bit...but that could be solved easily with minimal neoprene padding or perhaps stiffer webbing.

In addition to mattboy's recommendations, some people have been raving about the Zeagle Express Tech BCD (about $250). I use my Halcyon Eclipse 30 + an AL BP. It works out just fine. It's far more lift than I need for warm water, but at least I didn't have to buy another wing. For about $100, I was able to get the ALBP + harness. I figure that's an extra 3-4 lbs. that I can pack in my suitcase on my next vacation (by not taking my SS BP).

I doubt it will be a problem, they are designed for diving, not hiking. N

I dive a soft travel bc and don't experience the issue you described. The points of pressure for me are shoulders and the tank pressed against my bottom.

I also recommend the scubapro equator. It has a small hard back plate where the strap attaches to the tank. I have looked at all of the travel bc's and chose this one because it is also weight integrated.

Back
Top Bottom