Travel Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great idea from "Stone".

I have a Mares dive bag and I keeping forgeting to take a black marker to the name that is plastered all over it.

Nothing says "Steal Me" like a dive bag.

But they are absolutely terrific for travel. They usually fit under the benches on boats. They don't leak a trail of saltwater through the hotel or airport. You can use them as a rinse tub. Make shift seat on the boat.

I had the rolling duffel made by Akona, but the Pelican is the way to go. Never really happy with the Akona for some reason...

I can generally get all my gear in the box and a 2piece 7mm. A drysuit may be a chore, but I'm sure it'll be okay. With my 6lb BP and 10lbs of softweight, the box registers close to 70lbs. United didn't charge for scuba gear or overweight baggage. They just tagged it "heavy".

Defintiely worth the investment.
Ken

Akona has a great Travel Bag on wheels. It only fits one set of gear. Carrying two sets of gear in one bag is just to heavy. The Akona Deluxe travel bag has lots of compartments. My favorite part of it has a drop in regulator bag. Great protection. Nice heavy duty handle for rolling ease. There is even a drawstring bag that fits over the whole thing for sitting on the conveyor belt.
Retail about $250

Like Stone, we use an old hardcase suitcase for the travel part, then break out the mesh bag. The hardcase may be a problem on some liveaboards or smaller aircraft.

As far as the logos attracting attention, though, it's possible. My sweetie has a bag with a foldout external wrapper - I think it is a Stahlsac. When you arrive in - or from - a tropical destination like Cozumel (they can tell from the airline tags) with a huge bag, isn't it obvious to the criminally inclined what is likely to be in the bag? You don't need much in the way of clothes, so it has to be toys.

kelpmermaid once bubbled...
Like Stone, we use an old hardcase suitcase for the travel part, then break out the mesh bag.

with a huge bag, isn't it obvious to the criminally inclined what is likely to be in the bag? You don't need much in the way of clothes, so it has to be toys.

Kelpmermaid.....Very Good point about the size of the bag/ destination ratio :mean: Thats another good reason to pack the gear in separate bags as to minimize suspicion of their contents!!

Thanks
Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom