travel bags to hawaii ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cra2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
the little shuttle flight that's taking us from Maui to the Big Island during our trip has a limit of 2 checked bags totalling no more than 50 lbs and 1 SMALL carry-on.

heck, our checked dive bags alone weigh nearly 40 lbs!!
so that means I can check a bag with 10 more lbs in it and carry a small "purse-like" carry-on onto the plane.
How in the world am I going to fit my camera gear, toiletries and 2 weeks worth of clothes into a 10lb checked bag? My carry-on will have our reservations, paperbacks, meds, wallet, regs and such.

Are we just over-packed or what?
How do you guys do it?

thanks,
burdened

Doesn't everyone??? lol.
My personal dive bag (bc, lights, fins, batteries, etc) weighs 40.
My carry-on has my flight stuff, some toiletries, book, etc.
So I've only got 10 lbs left for another checked bag in which I have to put 2 or 3 pairs of shoes and clothes for 2 weeks?
arrrrghhh..

DiveMaven:
Each person can check 2 bags that weigh 50# and have a carry-on. Are you saying you need more than that?
It sounds like he's taking a small plane between Maui and Big Island. For example the Mokulele puddle jumper only allows 35 pounds TOTAL of baggage! http://www.mokuleleairlines.com/index.php?page=dayofflight

CRA2, perhaps the easiest thing would be to simply change airlines. You might have to fly over to Honolulu and then to Big Island, but than you'd have the standard 50+50 + carryone allowance. There is very frequent service, and although it has you reversing course, it's still a reasonable way to change islands.

My husband and I flew straight from Maui to the Big Island on Aloha Airlines' inter-island carrier... I believe it's called Island Air. They allow the standard 2 bags at 50 lbs each plus carry-on. There was no hassle whatsoever.

In theory, that would be AWESOME and no prob at all.
We're flying Island Air.
Their website says:
"Free luggage allowance (including golf bags) is 2 pieces at a combined total weight of 50 lbs./22 kg. Excess/oversize baggage (exceeding 62 linear inches or 62 inches in length) and specialty items (bicycles, surfboards, and kennels) will be handled for an additional fee." - http://www.islandair.com/flightinfo-baggage.asp

we called and they confirmed this, AND they said that IF you go over in weight, they can't guarantee when your baggage will arrive as it may have to wait for a flight with less weight.
AND they said that the carry-on has to be SMALL - like a laptop or purse, not a rolling bag/backpack.

elenion:
My husband and I flew straight from Maui to the Big Island on Aloha Airlines' inter-island carrier... I believe it's called Island Air. They allow the standard 2 bags at 50 lbs each plus carry-on. There was no hassle whatsoever.

Wow. Well, I can only go by what our experience was... we had 3 bags to check between the 2 of us, and I know 2 of them were close to 50 lbs with all of our gear. When we checked in I saw them weigh the bags, but they didn't say a thing, just slapped the tags on and sent us on our way.

I suggest if they say something to you, just pay the extra fee, and I'm sure the bags will arrive with you... my guess is they are saying they may have to go on a different flight just to cover their you-know-whats.

Yup - sounded like Island Air - It used to be a total of 40# :wink:

you are right though, it's 50# total (2-25# bags)

"sometimes" if the flight is not full they will overlook heavy bags (I'd say 50% of the time) and other times with a full flight they may not have room for everyone's limit - so they come on a later flight. You might consider checking in early, then if they won't take the extra weight (more likely to be taken as they have extra flights to spread it out on if you are early 4-6 hrs) If they will not take it, then run across the street to the post office and mail one to your hotel.

Aloha, Tim

They overlooked our weight overage back in May. Pretty empty flights at the time, but May is a slow month. Also, they took one look at my carry on and checked it at the gate, their overhead racks are a bit smaller than on the bigger planes.

Is this a connecting flight? (you're not staying a day or two on Maui first).

If it is a connection, just make sure you luggage is checked through to the end destination. This is commonly called an interline check-through. Island Air will probabally loose the fact you have "excess baggage" since that's usually charged for at the beginning of the trip.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom