Travel and diving insurance for seniors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPortugal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hiya

The travel insurance I've been using for many years won't cover me for scuba anymore as I'm now 66, so I'm looking for recommendations for alternative packages.

I travel quite a bit so need general travel insurance. I would prefer to take a package that covers me for diving as well but if that's not a working solution then I'm happy to take 2 packages i.e. one for general travel and one for diving.

Just to note I'm a Brit, based in Portugal and travelling mainly in Asia.

Any input gratefully received!

Thanks in advance.

David

We are in the US and we take DAN diving insurance as well as trip insurance. The trip insurance has some coverage for accidents, injuries, and medical events but not the full array of support and treatment that may be needed for a dive accident.

There is a DAN Europe organization, see link below, but I don't have experience with them. In the US, DAN also offers travel insurance but it doesn't look like that is true for DAN Europe?

BTW, I find it disturbing to read that age 66 means you are a senior and not eligible for travel insurance!

DAN Europe - Insurance

Hi Kathy

Thanks for that.

I had looked at DAN but it seemed to be US & Canada only - and it looks like DAN Europe will do the job for the diving cover (with some non-diving medical cover as well).

Just to clarify: I can still get travel insurance age 66 with my existing people, but not with diving cover.

Thanks again for your input.

DAN Annual Travel Insurance, which my wife and I have purchased every year, has almost doubled in price this year (to $3300 each!). It is now almost 5x what it cost in 2014.
I'm looking for an alternative.

DAN Annual Travel Insurance, which my wife and I have purchased every year, has almost doubled in price this year (to $3300 each!). It is now almost 5x what it cost in 2014.

Ouch!

I suggest DAN Europe, the Sport Silver or Gold (not the Bronze). Full scuba coverage and some travel related coverage...
Very reasonable cost. I have the Silver, which is a good complement to the free health insurance provided by public health system.
More info here: DAN Europe - Sport Member Plans

I suggest DAN Europe, the Sport Silver or Gold (not the Bronze). Full scuba coverage and some travel related coverage...
Very reasonable cost. I have the Silver, which is a good complement to the free health insurance provided by public health system.
More info here: DAN Europe - Sport Member Plans

Tax-funded is not the same thing as free.

I've been looking at numerous annual travel insurance plans, including using comparison sites to help the search.
The most recent site I looked at yielded 87 sites for comparison; only five allowed my age, and none of those covered scuba diving.

Interestingly, the DAN Annual Travel policy DOES cover scuba (surprise!); it is offered by Travel Guard. But the Travel Guard annual travel policy does NOT cover scuba diving.

Tax-funded is not the same thing as free.
???
Taxes are PROGRESSIVE here, poor people do not pay any tax, instead they get subsidiary money...
Ultra rich people are paying health also for them, thanks to a fair taxation profile...
But this is entirely off topic.
What matters is that the DAN-Europe policies are designed to be complementary to public health insurance provided to all citizens here in Europe, so these DAN policies are much different (and much cheaper, in my knowledge) than the DAN policies for US citizens.
As the OP is in Portugal (where the public health system is excellent), but plans to travel to Asia, I suggested that he should look for DAN-Europe policies, which provide exactly the additional coverage required. And they can be issued up to 75 years age.

ouch!

If it's not too intrusive may one enquire if there's an age or a pre-existing condition component to the price increase and which DAN policy do you have?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom