TrashFest 2010 - Oct 2nd - Official Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't see it mentioned but of all the challenges last year low trash amounts, heavy rainfall, tabledancing participants etc. the most challenging for me was the 10,000 bicycles. This year the MS 150 is the next weekend!!! Good luck to them! See ya at the fairgrounds Woohoo!

xring

A big thanks to everyone who came out and participated in this year's TrashFest! It was another great event. We had 69 teams register and 62 teams actually participate. About 430 divers and non-divers weighed in 8,717 lbs of trash and counted another 2,080 cans, cups, and bottles and 121 shoes and sunglasses.

At the BBQ, the following were awarded a coveted Super Scooper shirts:

Aggregate Weight:
  • DiveBuddy.com 1 – 2,170 lbs
  • Maximum Scuba’s Gas Can Clan #7 – 1,245 lbs
  • Monkey Mayhem – 771 lbs
Cans, Cups, and Bottles
  • Bay Area Divers #2 – 1,003
  • ShoeKrewe – 421
  • Sucker Fish - 251
Shoes and Sunglasses
  • ShoeKrewe - 37
  • Brazosport Underwater Club – 22
  • CHUM Jolly Rogers – 21
Most Unusual - Youth
  • Dakota Kline - Bird Ring
  • Brandon Renshaw – Goat Horn
  • Riley Bowie – Battle Ax
Most Unusual - Adult
  • Melody Poole – Wedding Band
  • Richard Spencer – Old Scale Bar
  • Vanessa Robertson – Dorothy Doll

After the awards, nearly $39,000 in door prizes were handed out. This year we found some silly ways to hand out prizes. Greg from DiveBuddy.com said I should say "beer" instead of "0". At first I thought it was stupid, but I gotta admit it ended up being a lot of fun! I also handed out a few prizes to the person who could get Todd and me a refill on our beers. I think more was spilled than actually made it to us, but it was a hoot!

Overall, I couldn’t have asked for a better event. I’ll be scanning in the newspaper articles and uploading the few pictures that I took soon. If you have any good pics, please email them to chairman@trashfest.net. Or if you have a lot please email me and I'll figure out how to get them from you!

We have about 30 shirts left. Especially XL, Youth M and Youth L. If you want to buy a shirt, let me know!

Thanks!
Joanne Vest
Chairman
TrashFest 2010
Texas Gulf Coast Council of Diving Clubs

This year was great except for a few minor hiccups. 1. Still not much trash in the river. ( I guess thats a good thing ) 2. I saw several divers collecting trash 30 minutes before start time. When we gently hinted that the we were waiting for the correct time before getting wet they seemed to not understand. (they were either ignorant of the rules, Unable to comprehend simple instructions, or selfish people that think thr rules dont apply to them). The whole Beer for 0 subsitution got a little tedious and hard to keep up with but Joanne seemed to enjoy it so I say if you do the work you do it the way you want to. Maybe I was having a hard time understanding because I had too many 0s. Weather was fantastic I even found a golden pipe ( after I spent all of that time painting different colored rocks for this year :) My wife found a wedding band in the water & I convinced her it wasn't unusual enough to win, boy did I hear about that one. But I guess if 2 were enterd the other one wouldnt have one.

My thanks to all of the hard work by the volunteers and leadership.

xring

Back
Top Bottom