TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - April 10-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Heat, Chamber Day 2022, Indo, and more
(please scroll down for details)
What was with that heat last week?

BUT A GOOD REMINDER OF SPRING/SUMMER - Even though it was waaaay too hot - temp records were set both Thursday and Friday - it was a good reminder that we're well into Spring and with that, can Summer be all that far behind? It's also a good reminder, especially as COVID seems to be calming down and mitigation measures are easing, that if you haven't been diving since pre-pandemic, start thinking about that so you're good-to-go as the weather and waters warm up. Our Avalon trips can serve as a good de facto refresher or you can sign up for a formal refresher class. And if you haven't been diving in a while you probably haven't had your gear serviced in a while, and that means you need to give Repair Guru (that's his official title) Robert Stark a call at 310/947-8523 and get your stuff back in tip-top shape.

CHAMBER DAY 2022 IS MAY 4 - We're under a month to go and generally this is when the pace starts picking up. We've got two spots available now at our in-person Reef Seeker table for Chamber Eve at the Aquarium of the Pacific. That event is $150/seat plus you can do the VGD (Very Generous Diver) add-on for another $50, the latter of which gets you 5PM admission to the Aquarium, 5 extra raffle tix, 1 extra Grand Prize tix, appetizers up on our exclusive second-floor Harbor Terrace (which also features a fabulous view overlooking Rainbow Harbor), and a private cash bar up there to boot. It makes a pleasant evening even more so.

CHAMBER DAY BOATS HAVE SPACE - We're as little over half-full on our Chamber Day boats as well. This is also $150 ($115 to the event, $35 to the boats for food/air) and you'll get in two dives plus a walking tour of the Chamber. The following boats still have space available: Asante, Cee Ray, Explorer, Pacific Star, Sundiver, Sundiver Express. Sign up by going to www.chamberday.org . (We've got a . . . few . . . spots on the Flying Dutchman as well.)

ZOOM SEEKERS THIS TUESDAY - Are you interested in diving in a public aquarium? Did you know there are TWO options in Los Angeles? Many of you probably know that we have a large volunteer dive team at the Aquarium of the Pacific, but the California Science Center also has a volunteer dive team and that will be the focus of Zoom Seekers on Tuesday. Sean Eckley, the Assistant Dive Safety Officer at CSC, will be our guest speaker and will give you insight into what they do and why, as well as outline the volunteer opportunities that are there. With COVID restrictions being eased, CSC is now looking to re-staff their team and Sean will explain how to go about that. So be sure to join us Tuesday night starting at 7:30PM. here's the link:​

INDONESIA HAS RE-OPENED - We were delighted to hear the news last week from our friends at Murex. You can now fly into Manado, Indonesia, get visa-on-arrival once again, and there are no quarantine requirements or testing requirements once you get there. What this all means is: LET'S GO BACK TO MUREX THIS FALL!!! I know some of you have expressed an interest in going back once they reopened but shoot me a note to remind me of who you are. I've been looking at mid-September but I'm not married to that so we could also look at October or maybe even early November. I'll have to get the current resort rates to start giving you a price but the airfare is a relative bargain. The flight from L.A. that used to run around $2,200 priced out the other day (for mid-September) at $1,100. There's a small issue getting from Singapore to Manado in that Silk Air has become Scoot Airlines and instead of four four days a week to Manado, they only currently fly two days. But we can work around that. The trip structure would be the same as we've done in the past: 9 days at Murex with side day-trips to Bangka and Lembeh and an option to add a few days in Singapore on to the back end. What's also nice is that previously if you wanted the non-stop LAX-SIN, it was only available as Premium Economy or Business. But now it's got an Economy section too so we can basically fly to Manado in one very long day (two flights) and fly back the same way without long layovers in Singapore. Lots of options here and I'm really hoping we can pull all of this together because they did a lot of remodeling at Murex over the last two years and the diving there is spectacular, so it's really a winning combination.

BUNNY TIME - Finally, don't forget that Easter is this coming Sunday (April 17).

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken​

Back
Top Bottom