Trappers Lake, CO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matz

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dove Trappers Lake this summer and was wondering if anyone els has before.
The elevation is about 9700'
The visibility was 20' as long as you stayed away from the bottom.
Temp was 58 until 18' then dropped to 54. I did not go any deeper than 25'.
I did not see as much fish as I thought I would.
I plan on going back this next summer and trying around the inlet.
The walk in was 1/4 mile but an easy hike. The hike to the inlet will be about a mile each way.
If anyone would like to join us let me know and we will start planning!

Count me in. I have a friend with a cabin down the road a couple of miles from the lake that dives as well. We talked about diving there a couple of weeks ago.

Where is this lake at? Keep us posted as I will be there if I can.

The lake is 50 miles east of Meeker. Located in Northwest Colorado. Trappers Lake has a lodge that serves meals and has cabins available.

I was thinking about doing the dives soon after the ice comes off the lake, clearer visibility. Depending on the winter that should be in April.

I dove Trappers Lake this summer and was wondering if anyone else has before.

If anyone would like to join us let me know and we will start planning!

I used to fish there. I tried to find out if you can dive that lake but never found an answer, which is why I haven't. Count me in next summer.

Hell, Im up for a road trip.... NW Colorado isnt THAT far, Ill C if i can make it

If were meeting for some dives there, we should consider Painted Gorge as well. All info that I have heard, is that viz is usually 20 - 30 feet and its a slow drift dive. Bottom topography is interesting, and the guys that I talked to surface with dinner. I guess the spear fishing is great.

Its in the same neck of the woods as Trapper's Lake.

Painted Gorge or Flaming Gorge? I've read some pretty interesting stuff on the Internet on Flaming Gorge.

Yes, Flaming Gorge. I knew this guy we called flaming George, and it just sounded too similar, and I really didn't want to go THERE! Yup, accidently called it Painted Gorge!

I logged 4 dives this summer and 3 last summer there. The temp was fine, only used my 3-5-3 wet suit and stayed comfortable.

Flaming Gorge is 3 hours away from Meeker, 4 hours away from Trappers Lake.

The spear fishing was good. Used Hawaiian sling for the first time.

Viz was 20'+ lots of small mouth bass and a few trout.

I hear diving the Green River below the dam is great... maybe give that a try?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom