Transporting lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How do you transport your dive lights when you travel? They seem to be more delicate than other pieces of equipment. The jostling could easily break your bulb or even your lense. Do you do anything special when you travel with dive lights? Maybe this is an item to take as carry on.

I put a cover over the lighthead and put it in a pelican case along with my other gear. I carried it on once, but the TSA told me to check it since it freaked them the heck out (battery pack with weird connectors, etc.). This might not apply to you since you aren't in the US, but it delayed us about an hour while the TSA called everyone over and finally agreed it was a light and I could get on the plane.

I also rubber band printouts from the manufacturer's website to the can and the lighthead with the words "THIS IS AN UNDERWATER DIVING LIGHT" on them. In addition to this, I have the Oxyhacker battery stickers on my battery pack and also carry the Halcyon catalog with the light page open on top of my stuff.

I take the regs, light head, and camera with me on the plane since they’re fragile and expensive. I leave the batteries and housings in checked baggage. They’ve asked to look at them several times put never held me up. I think the inspectors are becoming more dive equipment aware with experience. On the last trip to Cozemel, the X-ray operator at BWI said “I see you’re going diving” without having to open the pack.

Mike

jiveturkey:
How do you transport your dive lights when you travel? They seem to be more delicate than other pieces of equipment. The jostling could easily break your bulb or even your lense. Do you do anything special when you travel with dive lights? Maybe this is an item to take as carry on.

http://www.pbase.com/image/14302954

The rest is just like ORing said. I do everything he says. He's my hero.

K

O-ring:
I also rubber band printouts from the manufacturer's website to the can and the lighthead with the words "THIS IS AN UNDERWATER DIVING LIGHT" on them. In addition to this, I have the Oxyhacker battery stickers on my battery pack and also carry the Halcyon catalog with the light page open on top of my stuff.

You get full marks for being subtle. :biggrin2:

... in a pelican case and carry it on. The case fits in my carry-on along with my backplate, computer and compass. I also put my logbook in there so there's more "evidence" that it really IS dive gear. TSA gets freaked out most every time, but when it goes through the X-Ray machine and they ask what I have, I tell them it's a cave diving flashlight (they get confused when I say divelight). They look at it and see the backplate that says "DiveRite" as well as the logbook and so far - no problems. In fact, when I recently flew home from Seattle, the TSA employee who was assigned to bag searches just pushed it on through after I told the X-ray person what I had. She said she's a diver so knew what to look for. THAT was a first!

My canister has it's own pelican box as well and I either carry it on or put it inside one of my other bags. But I also only take it when I KNOW I'll use it. For example, I left it home on the Caribbean trip I just went on since I knew it was probably overkill and wasn't sure we'd do a night dive. I have a regular pelican light that worked just fine for the night dive we ended up doing and a small one that worked great for poking in the holes during the day.

I bring my light on every dive, so I always need to have it there. I am thinking about carrying it on just to see if stuff has changed since I last tried to carry it on. Will let you know how it goes since I leave for Bonaire tomorrow morning!

Hasta

I took my canister light on a recent cruise to Coz and I was pulled to the side and my carry on searched. I took the battery out and told him its just a battery for a dive light. He said it looks like a block of C-4. I guess it kinda does with the little plug in wires sticking out of it. I did have the letter from the manufacturer stating it is safe to travel with and also had printed out "lead-acid free battery" info stickers and placed one on my battery. So a 5 min delay and I was allowed on board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom