transportation from Cancun to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cost of flying to Cancun is usually far less expensive than flying to Cozumel (at least that use to be the case)

The last time I checked into the commuter flight from Cancun to Cozumel it was opressively expensive in comparison to taking the ferry from Playa del Carmen.

Julie

mihrl:
Hi again, Don

We fly into Cancun Feb. 17. And yes, we are also nervous flying on puddle jumpers, especially outside the U.S. However, sometimes you have no choice.

We leave Cozumel Feb. 28, and hope to fly to Belize. I say hope, since our travel agent says that so far the only way she can see to get us there is to fly us back to Miami, then down to Belize. Not entirely convenient. We spend a week with Blackbird Cay Resort, then they deliver us to Belize City, where we have to cool our heels for two days waiting for the next flight to Roatan. Once we get to Roatan, we spend two weeks, take a ferry to Utila (not very conveniently, I've been told) and spend two weeks on Utila. Then fly back to Cancun and catch our flight home.

It makes me tired thinking about it.

And yes, I did look at that website. Printed the info, too. Sure wish it were more convenient to get from place to place, but oh well. The diving makes it all worth it.

Marge

Wow - what a trip!

Well there is another way to get from Cozumel to Belize Ciyt, via Houston Intercontinental, on Continental:

CO1936 CZM 12:30 p.m. IAH 2:46 p.m. 739 0 Sat., Jan. 31, 2004
{OVERNIGHT LAYOVER!!}
CO1956 IAH 11:50 a.m. BZE 2:12 p.m. 738 0 Sun., Feb. 1, 2004

MIA or IAH, still better than driving thru or taking a ferry along the Yucatan!! There's several nice hotels at IAH. Still seems silly. Or, you could ferry over to CUN, and make it in one day to BZE, at least:

9:44 am Depart Cancun (CUN) Arrive Belize City (BZE) 3:35 pm Sat 28-Feb
Contiental: Connect in Houston (IAH)

:bounce: From BZE to Roatan? Wow! Then Utilla?! Seven weeks of diving and traveling around the old Mayan Empire. Sounds wonderful. Spoke with the manager for Utilla Lodge - Rick, I think it was, on the way to Roatan last July. He said getting from one to the other without going to the mainland is a matter of luck. Sounds like a wonderful challenge, though! :jump:

BTW, have you studied the advisories for traveling in Latin America? Most tourists do not bother with Marlia preventative, but the CDC suggested it, so I did. Didn't the first time, then - evey time I got a bug that winter (more than usual), I got scared. The once a week pill is usually not a problem for most people. DAN also offers advsiories.

Also remember to wear seat belts on ground transfers, life jackets on moving boats, and dive safely.

JulieParkhurst:
The cost of flying to Cancun is usually far less expensive than flying to Cozumel (at least that use to be the case)

The last time I checked into the commuter flight from Cancun to Cozumel it was opressively expensive in comparison to taking the ferry from Playa del Carmen.

Julie

Yep, and the ferry is probably safer. Just watch out for thieves at the airports and along the way.

Marge, I do hope you can post some reports from your adventure, along the way. I suppose you already have contact infor for DAN, American Embassies, etc. for different points, etc. But email me, too, if I can help: DandyDon@MyCellOne.com. I am no authority, but maybe I can help you find one, if needed...

don

DandyDon:
Wow - what a trip!

Well there is another way to get from Cozumel to Belize Ciyt, via Houston Intercontinental, on Continental:

CO1936 CZM 12:30 p.m. IAH 2:46 p.m. 739 0 Sat., Jan. 31, 2004
{OVERNIGHT LAYOVER!!}
CO1956 IAH 11:50 a.m. BZE 2:12 p.m. 738 0 Sun., Feb. 1, 2004

MIA or IAH, still better than driving thru or taking a ferry along the Yucatan!! There's several nice hotels at IAH. Still seems silly. Or, you could ferry over to CUN, and make it in one day to BZE, at least:

:bounce: From BZE to Roatan? Wow! Then Utilla?! Seven weeks of diving and traveling around the old Mayan Empire. Sounds wonderful. Spoke with the manager for Utilla Lodge - Rick, I think it was, on the way to Roatan last July. He said getting from one to the other without going to the mainland is a matter of luck. Sounds like a wonderful challenge, though! :jump:

BTW, have you studied the advisories for traveling in Latin America? Most tourists do not bother with Marlia preventative, but the CDC suggested it, so I did. Didn't the first time, then - evey time I got a bug that winter (more than usual), I got scared. The once a week pill is usually not a problem for most people. DAN also offers advsiories.

Also remember to wear seat belts on ground transfers, life jackets on moving boats, and dive safely.

Yep, and the ferry is probably safer. Just watch out for thieves at the airports and along the way.

Marge, I do hope you can post some reports from your adventure, along the way. I suppose you already have contact infor for DAN, American Embassies, etc. for different points, etc. But email me, too, if I can help: DandyDon@MyCellOne.com. I am no authority, but maybe I can help you find one, if needed...

don

Hi again, Don

I'll pass the above info on to my travel agent. And yes, we do usually take malaria pills, etc. If I remember correctly, you have to start taking them a week or two before leaving, right?

I'll try to post a trip report when I get back. I just posted my South Pacific trip report yesterday (we got back Dec. 29). I really enjoy reading other people's reports--especially when they mention what they like and dislike about their accomodations, good & bad restaurants, etc. It'll be interesting to be staying at two different resorts in both Roatan and Utila. I'll be sure to post how they compare.

Thanks again for all your help.

Marge

Kat:
DandyDon,
A 6 hour flight from Cancun to Belize?! Are you sure, that just seems very long.

You are right on that, Kat, but maybe you missed the last line in that. I'll underline it:

Neither Marge, her travel agent, nor I can find her a direct flight. At least it's same day, and not overnighting in Houston.

don

DandyDon:
You are right on that, Kat, but maybe you missed the last line in that. I'll underline it:

Neither Marge, her travel agent, nor I can find her a direct flight. At least it's same day, and not overnighting in Houston.

don

Hi Don and everyone else who was kind enough to make suggestions

The travel agent called this morning and said that 3 of the 5 resorts we were planning on staying at didn't have availability until late March (one place was booked into May). So . . . we've cancelled those plans and are looking at going back to Bonaire. Checking now to see if our favorite apartment is available. We'll try to do Belize/Roatan/Honduras next year.

Thanks again,
Marge

Back
Top Bottom