TransPac II / Weights??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheezy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How much weight do you guys use in your TPII's integrated weight system?

Do you use the $60 trim weights??? OUCH that's a lot of money for trim weights

I need about 24lbs in the pockets, but it was suggested that I invest in some trim weights as well due to the added bouyency of the TPII itself. (I'm thinking I'd rather invest in my own steel tank instead to make up the difference)

I said no, that I wanted to try it first and find out for myself.

Any input???

How much weight?

Salt water 5/3 fullsuit Aluminum 80......15lbs
Salt water 3/2 fullsuit Aluminum 80......13lbs
Fresh water 7mil farmer john /jacket/hood/etc steel 100...18lbs(might have been heavy)
Fresh water 5/3 fullsuit Steel 100.........2lbs
Fresh water 3/2 fullsuit Steel 100..........0lbs
Fresh water 7mil drysuit ?????yet to be seen , I figured rather than spend that much on the trimweights I would put the $ to better use. I bought a Fred T heavy plate and STA.
I'll bet I don't need much weight on a belt.
I'll still use the Transpac for wetsuit and Caribean diving.

To get the odd amount of weight I would put a 1lb ankle weight on my tank valve.

my trim is much better with steel tanks also!:)

I use lead weights or shot weights. I have found that the Transpac II is more bouyant than my Scubapro stab jacket and I need 6 more lbs of weight with it. I use ankle weights with my drysuit, but do not use trim weights.

wheezy,

I use a weight belt instead of pockets with my TPII. I adds less bulk and allows me to make small trim adjustments by moving weights.

I have found that it is less bouyant than the other bc I own. Aqualung, seaquest and sherwood.

I use 5lbs. with single AL80's and 2mm full
7lbs. with twin AL80's, 2 - 40AL sidemounts and 3mm farmer john. All warm saltwater.

Don't buy trim weights unless you really need to adjust your trim.

Just MO but hope it helps.

Happy Diving
Chris

I made 4 little straps out of nylon webbing , put grommets in the ends and bought some SS links to attach 5lb blocks in the back. Use anybodys blocks and not have to haul your own weights.
In Cozumel I got down to 6 lbs, so I took off the pockets and just used a belt with the weights shifted to the rear. MY first dry suit dive I used 36 in the pockets and that sucked. So with little experience I say "spread it around."
The belt comes in handy when on a boat dive and it's time to climb the ladder.

adios don o

I purchased the integrated weight thingies for my TPII and it was a mistake. For one they've come unstitched several times, and they don't close all the way so you have to use weight bags if you use soft weights because the smaller ones will fall right out!

I highly suggest somehting like the DUI weight and trim system, especially now that its under $100 and its well worth the price. It can hold craploads of weight and you don't have the ditch it all in emergencies unlike weight belts. Those trim weights are great, but they're really only useful if you have doubles, the 7 pounder happens to be the 11 inches for doubles bands. I also have a set bolted to my Drager Dolphin, the grommet holes are great for that.

Interesting, never heard of that one before. All the weights fit in the pockets O.K. and it closes just fine. I use shot bags and can't see a way that they could fall out????

Anyhow, thanks for the info I'll look into DUI system...

I have used the transpac for about 3 years now and really like everything about it. Have never had any problems with loosing wieghts. Ziegle makes small add on pockets that slide onto the tank straps that are prefect to trim wieghts. These pockets are like they are made for the Transpac and best of all they are like 14.00 for a seat of 2. I have added as much as 4 pounds per side of hard weights. Hope this helps ya.

Well, I don't use the TPII weight pockets due to trouble, I use the DUI weight and trim. In a drysuit I use about 35 (including the weights on my tank, 8lbs). I think the DUI system more adjustable. When I did use them I felt they pulled on my belt too much, but everyone is different. And if I am using stage or deco bottles the weights are a problem because I hook my tanks near there. There are people who don't dive with weights and there's people who use 50 lbs. And it has nothing to do with body fat percentage, I know a guy who's 350lbs and uses 4 lbs, but your exposure protection will. Always try to adjust your weights in a controlled environment before you truely go diving or spend good money on a trip.

A good shop will let you try these things out before you buy and I highly suggest it. Any good shop will because its hard to get a good fit when you're not in the water. The trim weights are very expensive, now whoever gave you that price is jacking it up a little bit. The retail is ALOT less than $60. If you intend on attatching these to tanks I suggest weight POCKETS for your tank strap like Zeagle makes because then you can use any weights and if you travel with it you don't have to bring your own weights which airlines love to charge extra for weight. I know I got nailed for 75 extra pounds when I went to Utila last year, ouch.

Geodiver

TP2 is My first and only BC, so I'll add my two cents if it can help. I use no hard lead and all weight except ankle weight goes in the integrated pouches(with no problem)

1. 120steel, 6.5mm farmer john/jacket/hood/gloves, 14lb lead(a little negative)

2. 100steel with same setup, again 14lb(just right)

3. 80alum with same settup, 18lb(works nicely)

4. 120steel, dry suit, 20lb, plus 3lb ankle weight

5. 100steel, dry suit, 18lb, same ankle weight

Everyone is different, so it has to be what works for YOU. Being new to dry suits, I am still experimenting and find myself dropping weight little by little. TP2 keeps me at the attitude I prefer(horizontal) without the need to move weight around. I only add or subtract as needed. I also use weight bags for the soft lead and find it helpful in loading into my BC. I'm a fairly new diver(80+dives) but feel I have a grasp on how the TP2 performs. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Dive safe! Dive often!
Jetwrench

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom