Training... which is worse? What would be better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
1. The training industry that pushes plastic... where students with a limited number of dives and even less actual skill are allowed to think that the certifications they posses actually have any meaning in the real world.

2. Divers learning skill sets informally from other more advanced divers and by virtue of sheer numbers of dives in varying conditions and settings begin doing increasingly demanding and agressive dives while actually possessing nothing more than BOW plastic.

There is a ditch on both sides of the road. Where are you?

That's a tough one. No good choices here. But forced to choose, I'd have to go with #2.

Is there option #3?:wink:

The industry doesn't push plastic, IMO. The industru pushes equipment and travel. In order to sell these two things we must provide the plastic.

Mentoring is good but, IMO, should be preceedd and interparsed with good formal training. In todays dive industry, good luck finding either one. And yes, I am growing pesemistic.

two comments.....as for #1 the agency doesn't make one think they have more skill than they really do just because they have a card. No matter what my card may say, I know what my skill level is. When I took the advanced class it was presented as a continuation of the begginng class except we were learning that while diving we can do other things also...like take pictures...instead of just thinking about the OW basics like in the first class.

as for #2....I know I could learn from more advanced divers. However, since I don't know any that will dive in the "colder" water I'm stuck with #1 for now.

My card may say advanced, but I know with 10 dives I'm not as skilled as an OW diver with 20 to 100 dives. It's just a piece of plastic used to get air and on dive boats.....:)......also, it amazes me the comments I get form my OW friends who have been diving for 10 years. Yes, I know they have more skills than I, but if you want the card take the class...if it's not a big deal to them than the comments shouldn't be used.....LOL

I think the question is somewhat loaded, the best solution is probably somewhere between the two.

Organised classes so that at least a minimum of theory is covered, and diving with more advanced divers for experience and to see how theory relates to practise.

Cards are just pieces of plastic and I suspect that the vast majority of divers realise this. Ones that consider them to be badges of achievement are not people I'd want to dive with.

I would like to think that the viewers on this board are more interested in bettering themselves than the scuba population as a whole. For the general population, I think your first comment below is way off. Most people think that when someone hands them a card that allows them to buy equipment, get fills, and charter boats that they're fully qualified to dive. And that no additional training is involved. And technically they're absolutely correct. They can even take a 15 year hiatus and get back into the water with their certification.

strfsh once bubbled...
two comments.....as for #1 the agency doesn't make one think they have more skill than they really do just because they have a card. No matter what my card may say, I know what my skill level is. When I took the advanced class it was presented as a continuation of the begginng class except we were learning that while diving we can do other things also...like take pictures...instead of just thinking about the OW basics like in the first class.

as for #2....I know I could learn from more advanced divers. However, since I don't know any that will dive in the "colder" water I'm stuck with #1 for now.

My card may say advanced, but I know with 10 dives I'm not as skilled as an OW diver with 20 to 100 dives. It's just a piece of plastic used to get air and on dive boats.....:)......also, it amazes me the comments I get form my OW friends who have been diving for 10 years. Yes, I know they have more skills than I, but if you want the card take the class...if it's not a big deal to them than the comments shouldn't be used.....LOL

With the exception of two of the classes I have taken, I have definitely learned a lot more by diving with more experienced divers, hanging out with more experienced divers, and bugging more experienced divers on Internet message boards :D

I needed some plastic to get wet, but now I don't foresee getting any more plastic in the near future...

I am for #2, but with #1 to enable #2.

... you should always look for the answer within the question(s) itself.

Which is better? Neither.
Since both are a ditch... why not choose the road?
Where are you? I'll let you answer that one.

and yes DD... there is always an option#3 :D

Back
Top Bottom