Training questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darian Dunn

Reaction score
Since I have cause a commotion with what I thought was a reasonable question

Not that it matters, but I will note this is especially true because I am using a real name, which will allow you to look me up in the Padi system, or the federal system (if you have access), or look at the other posts I have made on this board.

I am wondering if I am looking at training the wrong way.

I have always thought that a “good” student would read everything before hand.
Hopefully the student would understand what they have read. If not and if they had access to people who knew more then them, they should ask questions to try to fill in the blanks. For example, I ask tech questions here. I have a friend that is thinking about becoming a diver, so answer as many questions as possible.

Then when in training the big idea would seam simple and the instructor could focus on incidentals and the details.

Any thoughts?

I think I understand where you're going with this, we'll see.

First of all, I agree. BUT, unfortunately not everyone taking classes is interested in diving. Some are doing it for their significant other, some for a trip, and some because they really want to do it and learn as much as they can about it. That last group is the people I associate myself with, but in my situation only represented about 30 percent of my class.

What do the other 70 percent do? That's what troubles me...

Murdock325, I think you missed the point.
This is for technical or advanced class not general PADI OW.
General OW is a different story all together.

This is specific to me or others asking questions that are obviously above their level of expertise and Cert level.
1. Should I be asking questions above my level to an open group of more experience people than myself. OR
2. Should I expect to attend class and have the instructor take me from my current level of knowledge to the next level of cert.

DD,join a coupla lists(techdiver,DIRquest,caver etc)ask questions.Ask questions here and realise there are probly less than 20 people actually actively posting that do any tech stuff.Ask specific questions and expect a lot of the answers to be "go read xyz book"Take classes as finances and opportunity allow.

Darrin,

If you haven't realized it yet, you are in the minority regarding preparation for advanced classes. A relatively new training orginization shares the same general outlook on being prepared before class. From their web site:

"GUE is committed to maintaining the highest level of diver comfort, knowledge, and proficiency in the industry. This requires that the diver becomes an active participant in the learning process well before the actual start of diver training. Before the commencement of their chosen course, GUE students are responsible for a given body of information. This is comprised of a supplementary reading list, specific material tied to individual courses, and a range of pre-course educational material."

Kind of sums up what you are saying in a nutshell.

omar

Darian,
Just go on doing what you are doing. There was a group on the other thread that didn't want to give detailed info. It set me off a little but I think their intentions were ok even if some of us disagree with the method.

Mike

Darian,

There is nothing wrong with asking questions, however
yours was worded in such a manner as to imply you had
not quite grasped some of the concepts of the class on
EAN.

Questions are best asked in the context of an existing level
of knowledge with a goal of building on that knowledge
rather than trying to "get" something that is at 'level 3' when
you are still on 'level 1'. Does that make sense?

GUE has found that too many students enrolling in a "Tech 1"
class were not capable of meeting the standards so they are
now insisting that "DIR Fundamentals" be taken PRIOR to
"Tech 1". The "Fundys" course gives the students the base-line knowledge and skills to build upon.

I agree with 100days-a-year that joining a mailing list is
a good idea but I add the caveat that MUCH of the information
received will be of no value to you unless you understand the
foundations. If you ask a question of some of the denizens
of that group you will be flamed mercilessly if you appear to be
ignorant.

Re-read the Fundys book over and over and over. Start a foundation and build from there. PLAN YOUR DIVES, DIVE
YOUR PLANS. A 100 ft dive on EAN should be just as well planned
and executed as a 200 ft dive on mix.

Green Man........most........but the process of discernining BS from Fact and Opinion is a learning experience in itself.And anyone planning on doin' this stuff for real should get an idea of what kind of crowd he's fallen in with.

Many good points - I would say - go diving....
Talk to the people who are more experienced about what you are doing - go out and lay line and ascent from bags... It is not only fun, but diving with your peers will get you better at the skills you are going to need for say Tech1.
Tech1 one is typically failed due to lack of fundamental skills - this is the reason for the fundamentals class - you need to be not just good at the skilld in that book - you need to master them - then you can start moving on - that however does not mean you can't read up on stuff.

Big T

I will take the fundamentals, first.
I don’t have years of experience/training from other agencies.
It is just the right thing to do.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom