Training questions in Dallas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DallasNewbie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to take an open water course in Dallas, TX and I'm looking for opinions. I've read lots of posts saying that the most important thing is to find a good instructor, but I'm not sure how to do that. My wife and I signed up for the Try Scuba class at Dive West and we spoke to the guy who will be the instructor for that class. He seemed really nice and willing to explain everything. But if we do our open water training there, he wouldn't be the instructor so that doesn't really help with that.

There seem to be a bunch of places around Dallas we could get our training, and I know that opinions will vary widely, but are there any places we should avoid?

I've also read several threads about instructors at LDS being peeved that students don't buy equipment from them. I'm normally very stingy and will definately be looking for deals when I start shelling out $$$ for gear. Should this be something that I discuss with the instructor upfront?

lots of questions there. i'll tackle one:

I've also read several threads about instructors at LDS being peeved that students don't buy equipment from them. I'm normally very stingy and will definately be looking for deals when I start shelling out $$$ for gear. Should this be something that I discuss with the instructor upfront?

you are paying THEM for a service (teaching you to dive).

period. end of story. if they want more, they have to earn your
business.

i wouldn't bring it up. i'd take the class, and look for equipment
later.

that said, part of your "value" will be getting questions asnwered about specific items, warranty work, etc., so be
sure to factor in those aspects when looking for the "cheapest"
price.

in my experience, it makes more sense to buy stuff on-line.
it's how i've bought most of my stuff, and i don't have any negative experiences so far (3 years). i just don't care
too much for the help and service available at the local shops.
seems they just want to sell me whatever they have in stock
rather than help me find what's best for me. and as
for questions, there are about a dozen people on this board
whose combined knowledge can asnwer anything lots better
than anyone i know locally.

just my view; there are many who disagree.

DallasNewbie:
I want to take an open water course in Dallas, TX and I'm looking for opinions. I've read lots of posts saying that the most important thing is to find a good instructor, but I'm not sure how to do that. My wife and I signed up for the Try Scuba class at Dive West and we spoke to the guy who will be the instructor for that class. He seemed really nice and willing to explain everything. But if we do our open water training there, he wouldn't be the instructor so that doesn't really help with that.

There seem to be a bunch of places around Dallas we could get our training, and I know that opinions will vary widely, but are there any places we should avoid?

Greetings first of all, and welcome to ScubaBoard!

Secondly, I don't live in Dallas but I think I can help you with some of your questions.

In regards to finding the shop/instructor to teach you, I have a few things you should ask about.

1) How much time will we spend in confined water training?

The answer to this should be obvious. Get a good amount of hours in the water.

2) How much experience does the instructor(s) have with teaching people like myself?

Some people will say it doesn't matter, but I find that it does. People learn things in different manners and timeframes.

3) What is the typical class makeup in terms of age and education?

More relating to the manners and timeframes. Young children in the class may require a little bit more explanation, whereas a group of adults may not.

4) What if I have some difficulty in the confined water dives?What if I need more confined water sessions?

This is a good start, but the general direction to go in is find a shop or an instructor that will work with you and/or your group.

As far as getting deals on gear, at first I would just purchase the bare essentials. Masks, fins, boots, exposure protection suits, and a gear bag at first. The other items, such as BC's, regulators, computers, are a HIGHLY subjective and personal preference. Do research on these items at places like ScubaBoard and manufacturers web sites. Go rent before purchasing these things. I tried out about 50 regulators before I bought my first one.

Once you have tried out a few, and have made a decision, then go to the shop that has it. If you purchase a BCD and reg and computer at the same time from the same place, the shops around here ( Nashville, TN ) will give you a discount on it. I feel fairly positive that shops in Dallas would do the same thing.

As far as buying gear online, it's still a grey market area. Some shops won't support products bought online. Caveat Emptor...

I hope this helps you, and let me be the first to congratulate you on your decision to become a Scuba Diver.

Randy Cain

I'd like to invite you down to visit us... Not only do we have the largest facility in the area, biggest indoor heated pool - and the advantage of net pricing which is local for you... I'm sure you will find our instructors to be what you are looking for. I'm the Course Director - which means I train and hire the instructors we have - and I've got a great bunch of guys working here. The other thing our students get is free unlimited pool time if you want more time to play or practice.

Larry,

Thanks for the invitation. After next Tuesday, when we do the "Try Scuba", if we decide to go forward we will definately come check out your place.

and a good one it is... it's consistently spoken highly of by our users

DallasNewbie:

Hi and welcome,

I am also new to diving (just got OW cert in May), and I live in DFW near the airport. You have gotten some great answers already for most of your questions. I have been meaning to get over to scubatoys, but just haven't had a chance to do it yet. As for instructors, I got my OW Cert from Marty at Cuda Dive shop over off 820 and 26 in NRH. Marty was a great instructor and has no problem spending whatever time it takes to teach everyone. There was one lady on my OW weekend that I could not believe that she could eer be passed, but she actually was the first in the class to complete all her skills, Marty had to take her down by herself, just the two of them, in order to work with her through the fear of water in her mask. That meant an extra diver for Marty, who was already being tasked pretty hard with all the other students we had. If Northeast FT.Worth is not to far to go I really recommend cecking Cuda and Marty out.

Gary

Just finished my pool sessions for OW cert. The biggest thing about an instructor is find one you like and are comfortable with. Walk into the dive shops and talk with the instructors. Ask them off the wall questions that have nothing to do with diving. If you are comfortable speaking with the person then you will be comfortable taking the class. Ask them questions about scuba. If they explain it in a way that you understand then that's the person you want.

If you aren't comfortable with the person then move on to the next one. Being comfortable is the most important part.

Go by and meet Larry and Joe at ScubaToys, see their new shop, it is awesome. I did a refresher with them, (instructor was Greg) back in January and was very pleased. Greg was extremely professional, patient, organized, a great communicator.
Since then, I have bought a full set of gear from them, not because they pressured me in any way but because they have an incredible inventory and had better prices than most places I found even online. The advantage is, they are an authorized dealer for all their products, provide service and warranty claims if required.
I feel fortunate that we have such a great dive shop in Dallas to go and first hand check out equipment, buy it at the right price and have it serviced. Great new pool and training room in the new facility to boot.

I went by Scuba Toys the other night after work. Man that place is HUGE! I talked to a guy behind the counter (Larry was in a class) and everything sounded cool. I also got a lok at the very nice pool. After the intro thing next Tuesday I will definatly bring my wife by so we can talk to the instructors.

Back
Top Bottom