Training ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasprout

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am looking for some training senario ideas. Does anyone have a list of senarios I could get a hold of?

Thanks in advance

What do you mean by "training scenarios?" What level training?

The problem I've seen with most PSD training is that it's mostly borderline hazing. Really difficult panic-inducing stuff without a specific learning goal. Sure, I can have someone wrap me up in a net, and turn off my gas, but why? To see if I'll panic? Pretty much all I'll learn is that the proctor is a jerk.

A progressive approach to a variety of entanglements might work better. Progressively demonstrating & practicing line clearing from wrist, fin, tank valve, head/neck will burn in the skills better and be of more use. Practicing the same thing, in the same progression, with a simple translucent elastic shower cap over the mask will help make it a learning progression instead of abuse.

Just an example. You need to have a goal before you can craft the curricula.

All the best, James

What are you looking for? Scenarios for divers? Teams? Supervisors?

We have different scenarios that we put into place depending on the training. We have rescue scenarios implemented by the Overall Supervisor and TO to test a teams readiness for rescue, we have scenarios to test a Supervisors control of a dive site, and a score of failure drills to run divers through. (None of which involve rolling a diver in netting, blacking out his mask and/or turning off their air)

We need to move beyond the "small piece " training, ie; line signals, rescue drills, search patterns. I am looking for full blown senarios mimicing an actual tone out. This will allow us to test each part of the team from supervisors all the way down to equipment handlers. Our county consists of 11 volunteer fire departments. Not all have divers but all are members of a county-wide team. We meet once a month for a county-wide drill. This gives each individual team a chance to work and train with each other. Some teams have lots of divers and hardly any tenders, some have nothing but tenders. When we meet for the county-wide training we want it to be realistic to a county-wide tone out where all units work together as one unit. The smaller piece training is done at the individual team levels.

Make one up, that way it will be tailored for your teams needs. It is a big undertaking so be sure to get a couple people involved. Look at each part of your team make-up and determine what areas you want covered off in the training. PSD covers such a wide range of skills you'll never effectively cover them all in one scenario so target your key points.
Do you want to work low viz, or do your guys need to work on photo/video, evidence collection skills. Do you want to set up a rescue scenario for the team where one of their members gets in trouble during the call-out? Could be a major diving emergency to something as simple as a tender taking a jammer on the shore. (they may even forget about the guy in the water!) Assuming they know that such and such a date is the training day and it starts at 0800, call em out at 0600 to test their readiness. By tailoring it to your teams needs you can maximize the effective enss for your team. With differing SOPs, what we do may not work well for your team. Ideally if you can pick the brains of other PSDs, it is always best to base a scenario on a dive call that actually happened somewhere. It adds to the de-brief to say, "Look, this is what really happened and ....."

There are a number of safety issues with this type of training that need to be covered off above a regular training day, but they can be easily managed. If this is something you are interested in floating to your team, let me know. I do this type of training on a regular basis and would be happy to provide you with any suggestions, guidance, or advice you need

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom