Info Current conditions Philippines-anywhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zak9112

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for ideas for my next stop, currently in Puerto Galera, and the visibility is pretty bad water temp average 78* winds have just settled down.
Thanks in advance!

@Zak9112
Water is always cold in Jan and Feb but the vis has been really terrible this yr. Effect of El Nino? Anyway, I am going for my first dive in PG since arriving three days ago.
I do not think Anilao will be any better so your obvious choice is Visayas but I have no idea what the conditions are like over there.
If you prefer a slightly off the beaten track then Southern Leyte is my suggestion. And if you want to see the thrasher shark then Malapascus is THE place. Lunar New Year is just around the corner(10th Feb) and many resorts are in big demand.

Good luck.

Cebu Pacific has special promotion at the moment. 07th Feb is the last day.

Currently in Dauin.
Had our first dives yesterday. This is our first time here so not sure what the viz is normally, but currently it’s about 5-10 metres max. We’re seeing a bit less of macro than I expected (last dive we saw 4 nudies and a small seahorse, but that was the worst till now).

Others went to Apo Reef yesterday and complained about the viz there - we’re going tomorrow, if you want I can come back with an update?

I admit I’m regretting a bit that I booked 9 nights here… still searching for the flamboyant cuttlefish that everyone says is so common here this time of year.

January - May are typically the best weather and vis to dive the wrecks of Subic Bay and this year is no exception. Currently the weather is excellent and a balmy 31C/88F. Reports from one local shop is good visibilities overall throughout the bay (8m+) with the exception of the USS New York which has been a bit dusty the last few days. (however that can change to better or worse with the tides and ship traffic)

@Zak9112
Water is always cold in Jan and Feb but the vis has been really terrible this yr. Effect of El Nino? Anyway, I am going for my first dive in PG since arriving three days ago.
I do not think Anilao will be any better so your obvious choice is Visayas but I have no idea what the conditions are like over there.
If you prefer a slightly off the beaten track then Southern Leyte is my suggestion. And if you want to see the thrasher shark then Malapascus is THE place. Lunar New Year is just around the corner(10th Feb) and many resorts are in big demand.

Good luck.
I good with the water temps, but the low vis would be nice to avoid if possible on my next stop. I didn’t take into consideration the Lunar New year and extra demand on resorts, that may be a problem as I’m leaving here the 9 th with nothing booked…Ha. Thanks for the reply.

Currently in Dauin.
Had our first dives yesterday. This is our first time here so not sure what the viz is normally, but currently it’s about 5-10 metres max. We’re seeing a bit less of macro than I expected (last dive we saw 4 nudies and a small seahorse, but that was the worst till now).

Others went to Apo Reef yesterday and complained about the viz there - we’re going tomorrow, if you want I can come back with an update?

I admit I’m regretting a bit that I booked 9 nights here… still searching for the flamboyant cuttlefish that everyone says is so common here this time of year.
I was seriously considering Dauin specifically for the muck diving and Apo, but decided against it after reading some trip reports on here. Hopefully things improve for you.

January - May are typically the best weather and vis to dive the wrecks of Subic Bay and this year is no exception. Currently the weather is excellent and a balmy 31C/88F. Reports from one local shop is good visibilities overall throughout the bay (8m+) with the exception of the USS New York which has been a bit dusty the last few days. (however that can change to better or worse with the tides and ship traffic)
Thanks, will look into Subic, hadn’t even thought about that site. Thanks

The wrecks in Coron are far more interesting. Vis is usually not a big issue on wrecks diving.

Thanks, will look into Subic, hadn’t even thought about that site. Thanks

Easy to get to from PG and no flights involved. You want to stay in Barrio Barretto. There are a lot of hotels, however it will be busier due to the holiday. I can recommend Mango's Dive Center - Mangos Dive Center - Subic Bay, Philippines. Lots of night life and restaurants in a small, walkable area. Super Bowl kick off is Monday the 12th at 7:30am. Will be on screen at the Green Room and Harleys.

There is also a point-to-point (sort of :)) Victory Liner bus to Clark Airport from the Olongapo bus terminal if you want to explore another destination in the PI after a few days diving the bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom