Training Death in Coz - what could have been done differently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I said:

"Now to the incident: If it was a lung-expansion injury, that is entirely preventable with a good instructor and good class. If you follow the instructors directions in class and in the water, no problems."

Ken said:

I don't want to sound like I'm coming down too hard on LeadTurn SD but your statement is just waaaay too cavalier, based on my experience. And if, in your teaching experience, you can turn me on to some new magical panic-prevention cure-all that's been working for you, I will be happy to sit humbly at your feet and listen.
Ken

Yikes!

No need to sit Ken, you can remain standing ( :D ): I'm not an instructor, nor do I profess to have any answers regarding panicked students. I'm just another "average diver" parent who also dives with their kids, and wanted to reassure the OP.

Ken, I had to re-read your post a couple times, then go back and re-read mine again to figure out what I said to get under your skin, then I finally "got it". And you are right, it was a gross simplification. I was wrong to word it the way I did.

I apologize.

What I was trying to get across (but obviously chose my words very poorly now that I re-read that part of my post) was that the OP should spend some time picking a good instructor and a good class, and not to be overly concerned about the incident in question. And assuming that the student does pay attention and follows the instructor's directions, I do stand by my statement. While diving can be dangerous, it is quite safe if you follow the rules.

Bad things can happen... but incidents such as those that started this thread are thankfully rare.

And of course bad things can happen even with the best instructors, and students can panic.... but Ken, I'd bet you would be more likely and better prepared to recognize and head off a problem than an instructor certifying his/her very first student. That was what the "good instructor and good class" reference was about. Not all instructors are created equal, and you want a "good instructor" to teach your child.

Again, I apologize if my statement appeared cavalier, it was not intended that way, and my wording certainly could have been better.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
As a direct answer to your question. On my Instructor Certification Test we were required to maintain contact and control over a students in situations in which a panic could result in loss of gas.bouyancy control or bolting for the surface. Mask clearing is one of those situations. From my experience in teaching classes in which the OW dives are done in cold quarry waters it is one of the most likely times when a student will panic and bolt to the surface. Regardless of what amount of warning I give them about the cold water hitting their face or how proficient they are in the pool. Consequently, I am always right in front of them with one of my hand on their BCD shoulder strap and the other ready to put my Octo in their mouth as spitting their regulator out seems to come immediately after they panic and want to head for the surface.

I have no idea if this was done on the dive you mention or if it would have changed the result. All I know is I am prepared for it to happen and I can slow the student ascent rate enough such that an lung overexpansion injury is less likely.

John

I only want to point out that these panic moments can happen at any time, not only when there is a skill practice. The skills may have been completed just fine and most of the dive could have been over before something happened to make him panic.

Who knows what (or when it) actually happened in this case or (as you wrote) if it would have changed the result.

This is, at best, a gross over-simplification and at worst, just plain wrong and misleading.

I have been teaching diving since 1978. I've certified thousands of divers. And I will tell you there is NOTHING scarier to an instructor than to have your student panic and bolt to the surface.
Ken,

Undoubtedly you are correct, but I can neither agree nor disagree since I have yet to experience such an incident. I fact, as far as I know, no one teaching a 100 hour Scripps Model Course has ever had such an experience ... in over 50 years of conducting such programs. I don't believe that there's ever been such an incident, and I know that there has never been a significant injury (with the exception of about 30 ear incidents), or a fatality, during the conduct of such a program.

Can I point to single magic bullet that has resulted in such a record? No. Our success, I imagine, has to do with the longer training program and the stress on early and extensive free diving training. Say what you will about such programs not being cost effective for the industry, or within the skill level of zero-to-hero instructors to conduct, the reality is that our students develop a panic threshold that exceeds (what should be) the rather mundane issues of problems with mask clearing and other equipment manipulation exercises and such.

My Daughter (12) is working on her open water if we can ever get her ears to clear. Allergys got her latest try. I have worked hard to ensure she knows the gear and all the book part. But it was really hard to let the Instructors work with her, and not get in there. She has learned the skills and just has to work them. I have seen adults and a 16 year old panic during open water. Not pretty.

I agree with Diver 85's comments noted above. My daughter got certified at aged 12 in 1989 and is a dive master with alot of experiences having traveled the world with diving as a joint activity for the family. What a thrill for her to see her 1st shark while in the Red Sea or seals swimming around her in Galapagos, etc. etc. You and your daughter should not dwell on accidents as you learn a very safe sport that you will share together for a lifetime. Kids have a way of listening to the instructors and learn well.

As for the even, i remember one incident of a cerified diver with me about 5 feet away losing her boyancy and just took off for the surface (only 20 feet deep) and i just could not reach her. She was fine but there was nothing that i could do to get to her as she was surfacing. It happens and thankfully remembered to not hold her bredth.

regards

Back
Top Bottom