Training Agency Preference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I understand it, LGS has advantage in the "up north and freezing cold" arena, while DRI has more market share in the south. ERDI is a SDI-TDI organization and as noted seems more flexible in how classes are offered.

A couple years ago I read the manuals from DRI (old version) and ERDI, and the PSD book. My team at the time, like many others, would love to have training funds but we were totally volunteer. If any of us went it would have been out of our own pocket and since our gear was also mostly self-funded it became a dream to get formal training, not a reality.

Blades has been helpful both on and off list; just have to remember his bias. :D

Realistically, there seem to be three factors in the decision making process. First, what are the other teams in your area doing? Meshing with other teams is paramount as a multi-operational period effort will probably take teamwork. Second, what level of training does your team do? My team trained monthly or more and some of us dove together on our own time so the choice of 4 signals or more was open. If your team trains enough you can do lots; if you train less then a simpler standard that everyone knows is better than a great standard only half the team knows.

The last factor is sustainability. Does your training organization of choice support you post-training so that you can continue to learn and develop? Do they provide information to keep you current, and do they challenge you to grow and provide a path for that? Is there a community around the organization that supports you?

Leam

That said, what I have found to an interesting contrast has to do with depth of presentation verses depth of knowledge. DRI seems to be a far most polished company, but lacks depth of research and publications, while LGS has an incredible wealth of publications and knowledge, but lacks the final polish like DRI.

I agree. You've described them perfectly in a nice short statement.

In the end, go with either of these and you can't go wrong

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom