Trainer killed at Seaworld

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, the Gulf of California Harbor Porpoise a.k.a "The Vaquita" is on the verge of extinction. With about 150 animals left, scientists figure that in two years this porpoise will be gone due to gillnet entrapment.

Here's some further information:
Vaquita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Organization working to save this porpoise:

The Search for the Desert Porpoise | Whale Trackers
¡Viva Vaquita! | Facebook
Translation result for http://www.vaquitamarina.org/portal/?p=7
Translation result for http://www.cedointercultural.org/content/view/69/66/lang,es/

Lock Washer

My statements were objective...my attitude might not be.

Objectively speaking, jobs should have no bearing on this particular subject. You could debate the educational value vs the captive cost but jobs should have no bearing .

Orcas are on the Washington State endangered species list.

What are the repurcussions of shutting down all Zoo's in the United States, both econimically and for the captive animals?

Can they go back and adapt, has it been done successfully?

There has to be a better way....

What are the repurcussions of shutting down all Zoo's in the United States, both econimically and for the captive animals?

Can they go back and adapt, has it been done successfully?

There has to be a better way....

I agree. I'm not arguing for just going out and shutting down all zoos. It might not be a bad policy over time or it might be a good policy to have far fewer animals especially the big ones and it might be better to make zoos more about education.

It might be good to not replace some animals when they die. Who knows. Nothing should be done without thought.

It's just not about the economic impact of the jobs involved however. If something's not a good idea then the fact that there are jobs involved still does not make it a good idea.

Would releasing them into the wild mean releasing them so that other countries could catch and kill them? Just sayin'.

From what I read in the paper today, it seems that the whales were not being cooperative during the previous shows. When they are in that sort of a state and you continue to force the issue you are, quite literally, taking your (or someone else's) life in your hands.

Last edited:
I agree. I'm not arguing for just going out and shutting down all zoos. It might not be a bad policy over time or it might be a good policy to have far fewer animals especially the big ones and it might be better to make zoos more about education.

It might be good to not replace some animals when they die. Who knows. Nothing should be done without thought.

It's just not about the economic impact of the jobs involved however. If something's not a good idea then the fact that there are jobs involved still does not make it a good idea.

Thanks, for understanding my point of view. I was originally posting about a comment made earlier about shutting down entire Zoo's.

Here is a brilliant statement made by someone who inspired me as a child:

This is turning more into a media circus than it has to be. I seen the promos for "Entertainment Tonight"..."killer whales attacking...new footage found". They are just dregging up old news footage...sheesh.

Of course the celebrities are now getting involved. Bob Barker of "Price is Right" fame wrote a letter of behalf of PETA to Sea World. He is requesting that Sea World replace all their animals with animontronic animals and let their animals go. I wonder if he is going to finance this, since he has all the money he will ever need from all the years in television.

And lastly...Actor Matt Damon demands that Sea World be shutdown. Infact he demands that all marine parks and zoos be shutdown immediately because he hates them.

Guess my post about the Gulf of California Porpoise..."The Vaquita" going extinct...is not important.

Lock Washer

As much as I like whales...this particular whale needs to be put down. The propensity for an intelligent animal to hurt again is pretty high.

X

While I quite agree this animal either needs to be destroyed or set free, this is absolutely the last thing the park will do, this event is the most awesome thing to happen to the park from a marketing/publicity viewpoint that can be imagined! I mean, who actually attends NASCAR to watch that completely mindless/endless stupid oval-without-an-end race to see who actually wins.....they are there for the crashes...the danger...the mayhem......possible violent death ! Same thing for this park....people are gonna flock to this park to see the REAL (serial killer) Killer Whale, who knows when this thing will lash out next...imagine the suspense! Look, this whale REALLY is a serial killer and this park knew LONG ago the real deal here and did nothing....WHY ??? I think it's driven by 'ratings'....this latest event was inevitable and predictable!

For starters: 80 percent of all whales, dolphins in US marine parks have been born in captivity. So you can't release them back into the wild...it doesn't work. They tried that with Keiko the Killer Whale from the "Free Willy" Movie, and the end result: 20 million dollars wasted, the whale didn't want to join any wild killer whales pods in Iceland, and ended up dying from amonia next to a dock in Iceland. OrcaLab in British Columbia tried to get Corky released from Sea World to return to the wild in British Columbia...its not going to happen. Howard Garrent is pushing another movement to get Lolita released from the Miami Seaquarium. They are asking people to donate money for their causes...in a recession? good luck.

The biggest threats to killer whales is the enviroment they are living in. In the Pacific Northweast they are loaded with PCB's in their blubber, and their population is on the decline due to inability to find salmon to eat.

We should be more concern about what is going in the ocean with killer whales, than what is going on at Sea World.

Lock Washer

When Steve Erwin was killed by that sting ray, immediately afterwords there was a rash of revenge attacks on sting rays all over by vengeful humans......sooo, is it really a good idea to have killer whales (and other related species-dolphins, etc.) become targeted for similar revenge attacks because of this publicity ? This has fallout WAY beyond one whale at Sea World!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom