Trainer killed at Seaworld

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was sad that someone died. Orcas are very large creatures that are predators, but clearly they don't mean to kill trainers--if they did, they would all be dead by now. If you put people in a cage with wild lions (without anything to protect), they would be Purina Lion Chow in short order. The same is not true of orcas. I don't think orcas should be in captivity. Sea World and their ilk have a permit from the federal government to keep marine mammals in captivity as stipulated in the 1972 Marine Mammal Protection Act.

Well, this isn't going to sell many of those carved whale tail necklaces to wanna be whale trainers.

Seriously, this is a no win for everyone. Killing the whale isn't going to fly. Keeping him captive doesn't seem like a great idea. Releasing him is a death sentence (for the whale). Obviously, the friends and family of the trainer (RIP) wish this had never happened.

Sometimes you make bad decisions that can't be undone in a fair or easy way. Capturing this whale seems like one of those decisions.

Lawyers will be the only ones who come out ahead in this one.

Well, this isn't going to sell many of those carved whale tail necklaces to wanna be whale trainers.

Seriously, this is a no win for everyone. Killing the whale isn't going to fly. Keeping him captive doesn't seem like a great idea. Releasing him is a death sentence (for the whale). Obviously, the friends and family of the trainer (RIP) wish this had never happened.

Sometimes you make bad decisions that can't be undone in a fair or easy way. Capturing this whale seems like one of those decisions.

Lawyers will be the only ones who come out ahead in this one.

Maybe SeaWorld doesn't want to keep the whale either?

Just a thought but it appears at least on the surface that they're now stuck with a huge and expensive liability in the form of a killer whale that cannot be trusted to be with any trainers, that still requires food and a place to live.

They might come to the conclusion that there is no winning for this Orca.

Maybe SeaWorld doesn't want to keep the whale either?

I'm sure they don't, but what are they going to do? Release him, kill him, set up an exhibit with the whale who killed a trainer? There's no good or easy answer.

Who wants to bet that SeaWorld attendance actually goes up, and employees are getting some mandatory training on how to deal with all the park visitors who ask to see this particular whale or make crude comments?

It's a huge mess on all sides (whales, park management, trainers, visitors, etc...) with no good way out.

I'm sure they don't, but what are they going to do? Release him, kill him, set up an exhibit with the whale who killed a trainer? There's no good or easy answer.

There's a "best" answer although it's not the most favorable for the whale.

It's not looking good for him.

They may put the whale down with the argument that it is now become dangerous to humans...they do this to crocs in Florida all time.

'As much as I like whales...this particular whale needs to be put down. The propensity for an intelligent animal to hurt again is pretty high. '

The other way round I think! Why should man ever be allowed to keep other animals in captivity merely for our pleasure? I think all zoos should be made illegal. Please dont start the 'breeding in captivity' argument, captivity is captivity, to be bred into captivity is still captivity, and captivity to please humans. Disgusting!

Are you speaking from any point of expertise? Overall, the level of understandings about whales, or apex predators in captivity have been low. At one point during my life I worked in the aquarium setting. Whales, dolphins and all manner of marine critters. I didn't like biz because it was at times a bunch of bull...and probably still is as indicated by this recent tragedy.

1. Whales, and other animals who have been in captivity for long periods of time are not easily returned to the wild.

2. Animals which hurt people, or other animals in zoos are typically isolated, or put down. Apex predators especially so - Lions/Tigers/Bears. Nothing bothers my conscience more than having to put down an animal because of the ignorance of people.

3. Zoos have been around for the longest time. Some of the earliest "menageries" were in the Middle East and China. Think King Solomon, or Alexander the Great. While they can be reprehensible, many provide the "byproduct" of veterinary knowledge which is useful to the general public which may keep domestic animals - dogs, cats etc. Is the byproduct worth it? Have you, or do you have a domestic pet?

4. Do you work for PETA? I looked at the data provided and not surprised to find out the bull behind the banner.

X

So, there seems to be a lot of anti-captivity and anti-Sea World sentiment going on around this story.

But while I'm not particularly fond of some of the choices Sea World has made in the past decade (most notably, the reduction of educational content to make way for flashier entertainment & commercial opportunities), I think the people who shout about "release all captive animals!" are missing some larger points. Facilities, including Sea World, which keep these animals captive turn around and use the knowledge gained from keeping these animals and put it to use in highly successful rehabilitation programs for wild animals.

For example, Sea World has very efficient rescue/rehab programs for manatees and sea turtles--endangered animals which tend to get caught up in man-made injuries fairly often. How would manatees injured by boat propellers get care if not for marine mammal facilities in Florida?

And release all the animals? As someone pointed out earlier, the failed "Free Willy" venture cost somewhere over $20 million. $20 million to watch one whale beach itself and die alone. Now think about all the other killer whales, many of which were born and raised in captivity and would never be accepted into wild pods--how is it feasible to release these animals? Now consider how many hundreds of bottlenose dolphins (a very high percentage of which are captive born), belugas, pacific white-sides, pilot whales, false killer whales, commerson's dolphins, etc are also in captivity. Who the heck is going to pay for lengthy (several years at best) release preparation projects? The last successful release program I recall was when they released "Echo" and "Misha" in Tampa Bay in the '90s. But that project was planned from the moment the animals were first captured as a program ending in wild release--which is certainly not the case for the majority of the animals in captivity.

What's the other option? Euthanize? Keep them in captivity, but not performing in shows? Overly commercialized or not, it's the revenue from ticket sales driven by those shows that pays to keep these animals fed and housed. If that comes to an end, who is going to assume that cost? And I fail to see how killing flat out them is kinder than keeping them alive, healthy, and well fed.

Issues of morals aside, it's simply not practical to contemplate releasing these animals--most of which would likely never survive the release process.

Which likely brings Sea World to one heck of a quandary right now. What do they do with Tillikum now? He's got a record of deaths--which even if considered 'accidental' still set a precedent that he should be considered dangerous. But he's not a good candidate for release by any stretch and to euthanize him would bring horrendous bad press down upon them. Plus, he's their primary breeding male--he was actually sent to Sea World on a breeding loan following the incident at SeaLand of the Pacific, as a matter of fact.

My speculation? They're probably going to discontinue ANY performances with him... the splashing at the end of the show, Dine with Shamu presentations, etc. And taking a heck of a lot more safety precautions during interactions between him and his handlers. I can't see them euthanizing him, though.

Honestly, working with animals is dangerous... even for domesticated, non-apex predators. People get killed or injured by horses all the time (I've got plenty of scars and crooked toes from horse-related injuries, that's for sure!), it's just a risk you take when you work with animals.

So.. there's my long-winded ramble. Hope it came out coherently, as I typed it up in between calls at work. :wink:

Last edited:
I been watching this story unfold in the media. What amazes me is the headlines and the the sensationlism: "Trainer killed by whale at Sea World"..."Killer Whale attacks and kills trainer". "Whale kills again". Plus they have every "Joe Sixpack's" opinion which is irrevelent to the issue. Then they have the news media polls..."should killer whales be kept in captivity". Enough! This is an issue that Sea World has to deal with, and hopefully prevent anymore incidents from happening.

But I will say this much. It was Sea World that pioneered invetro fertilization with killer whales, and it was Tilikum that was involved that made it a success. Jack Hanna said it best on CBS News this morning. "When population of wild killer whales drops below 200 individuals...someone will come knocking on Sea World's door to look at their breeding techniques."

Lock Washer

CBS just did a spot on it. Seems corporate office will keep the whale for stud purposes and have him socialize with other whales vs. placing him in a separate 15 foot tank for long periods of time. A calculated decision.

I feel very bad for the family of the trainer, and the cetaceans who have no say in their lives. I hope the decedent's family shellacs the corporation above and beyond their calculated payout costs.

If anything, the public should show it's displeasure by not buying tickets to Busch Theme parks. There are far better places to see marine animals - Monterey Bay Aquarium, New England Aquarium etc.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom