Trainer killed at Seaworld

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not just horses, but ask Roy how the tiger deal went down, and yet still loves and keeps them! Vets get kicked, bitten, and scratched! In the long run it is still for the betterment and understanding of the animals and a personal decision for the trainers! The real wild beast we face everyday is the Freeway! I will take my chances with Sharks, Whales, and Rays! It is not Bush Gardens fault and a great place for children and people who would never see these animals up close!

If anything, the public should show it's displeasure by not buying tickets to Busch Theme parks. There are far better places to see marine animals - Monterey Bay Aquarium, New England Aquarium etc.

X

How come no one ever protests Sea Otters in captivity at the Monterey Bay Aquarium?

Lock Washer

Which likely brings Sea World to one heck of a quandary right now. What do they do with Tillikum now?

With the ongoing success of reality TV shows, I think it would be a great idea to do an "Orca Survival Show".

Throw 10 contestants into the tank and see which tough guy can last the longest in the tank with the Killer Whale that EATS PEOPLE.

For added interest, let them wear Scuba gear and maybe give them a few rudementary weapons or something.

Last one alive gets a million bucks or something. The proceeds from the advertising revenue go to pay for the upkeep costs of the whale, it doesn't have to be euthanized.

Heck I'd watch it

Well, If the earlier death account of the homeless person is correct, than i should serve life in prison. It so happens that a couple of years ago 2 people drowned in Lake Michigan, I was no more than 10 miles away from them on the lake when they died.
Last year i was in the Gulf of Mexico at the same time a boat turned over.
A homeless man broke into the park at night, and went for a swim in the whale tank where the temp is 58F. He died of hypothermia. how is that the whales fault? Actually imho the whale showed extreme restraint. If a stranger snuck into my bedroom while I was sleeping, Cold would be the least of his problems. Imho the whale does not have a history.
Oh, and it does appear that the last incident was mistaken identity. Its very possible that the whale mistook the malfunctioning ponytail for a fish normally presented to him by the trainer. Once the whale grabbed the "fish" all hell broke loose (trainer fell on top of him), and the whale got spooked.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but there's so much weirdness of attitude concerning orcas that I feel the need to do so. I'm no orca expert. I spent a dash over three months in the early 1970s as the most junior of the orca training team at an oceanarium. This was in the very early days, we had little to go on and played by ear a lot. We played with the whales, they played with us, people watched and enjoyed the show.

Orcas are real smart, really, really smart. Maybe as smart as we are, maybe not, maybe smarter, but their intelligence is in a whole different direction. There were times when I seriously wondered who was watching and studying whom. I sometimes got the feeling that our whale was kind of a reluctant astronaut, maybe more like an alien abduction that had made the best of it and joined the game.

Our whale was real picky about whom she would let in the tank, there were people she liked and people she hated. On of the guys that she hated she picked up on her forehead and heaved out of the tank over the glass barricade, breaking one of his arms and one of his legs. She never treated me that way, but she had a reputation as a fractious whale.

Anyway, we were putting on these shows that demonstrated what we had learned about working with the whales, pretty simple stuff by today's standards (on of my real regrets is that we never thought of the trainer-on-the-nose-jump that some are doing today, that looks rather exciting). The facility that we worked at was sold to an entertainment company, and that company wanted ENTERTAINMENT! We were given scripts and cute little props and were expected to get the whales to cooperate and be disciplined into a set, repeatable routine ... complete with pauses for laugh lines and little sailor hats.

Well ... we (the staff) didn't like it and it was our perception (almost to a man) that the whales didn't like being regimented either ... they wanted to play, not work. After a week or so (if I recall correctly) all but one or two trainers quit because we felt that the changes being pushed on us demanded way too much of the whales and created a restiveness that none of us really wanted to put ourselves in the path of.

I'd say that we were proven both right and wrong ... but that often what happens when you're in a pioneering situation. We were wrong, you can mold the whales into a set and repeatable script, but there is danger in doing so. Your safety is completely dependent upon your relationship with the whale and the whale's immediate state of mind, which is (at least in my very short experience) mercurial.

When I'd have a show coming up, I'd go out to the pool 15 minuets or so early. I'd get the whale to come to me, I'd feed her and talk to her and try a few behaviors to see what she was into just then, and what she did not want to do. Then I'd put together a show based on what she wanted to do and I'd not demand that she do anything that she not enthusiastic about. So no two shows were ever the same, and that was what the ENTERTAINMENT company wanted changed, people love to come back again and again and see the same thing.

I feel really bad when a trainer gets hurt and even worse when one dies. I feel the same way when a whale gets hurt or dies too.

Jobs? What does this have to do with jobs? If it was decided that the right thing to do is to close down all zoos we would change our mind because jobs are lost?

What if it was determined that day care was harmful to children...would a reasonable argument be to keep them open because otherwise jobs would be lost?

People say that we should keep 400 pound gorillas sitting around in a cage all day for our amusement so that we will care about them?

We don't care about them when we do that. We shouldn't need to keep every animal in the world in a cage in order for us to care about them. Do we need polar bears at the Phoenix zoo in order for the people of Phoenix to care about them?

Orcas are on the Washington State endangered species list.

You have clearly taken one side and are on the offense...:shakehead: Look at both sides and be objective in your statement...!

You have clearly taken one side and are on the offense...:shakehead: Look at both sides and be objective in your statement...!

My statements were objective...my attitude might not be.

Objectively speaking, jobs should have no bearing on this particular subject. You could debate the educational value vs the captive cost but jobs should have no bearing .

Orcas are on the Washington State endangered species list.

Thal has the number on this one.

I was raised on a farm with "domesticated" animals. Big and/or smart makes the animal quite dangerous. One step of a cow or horse can crush your foot and break your ribs as it pins you against the wall. Knowing the animal and working with it to see how it responds helps but if it seems cranky all bets are off. And I must add there is no malice involved, the animal reacts to protect itself as its nature dictates, whatever trigger starts it on its path.

The ray that killed Steve Irwin was stressed and acted according to it's nature, a few inches one way or another and Steve would just have another scar.

Bottom line, if your handling animals you better be damn good at it. Personally I'd put the animal down because of all the Orcas in captivity for all the years Orcas have been in captivity the only three deaths that have occurred have been with this animal.

Bob

Just wanted everyone to be aware of other things going on in the Cetacean (whales, dolphins, porpoises) World.

Call goes out to save Ganges River Dolphins - 2000 indivduals left.
Call goes out to save the Ganges Dolphin .:. newkerala.com Online News - 58207

NOAA trying to protect last of Beluga Whales in Alaskan Waters
NOAA gets feedback on plan to protect belugas: Wildlife News | adn.com

New Zealand Government trying to protect the last of the Hector's and Maui Dolphins
Scoop: High Court Ruling a Reprieve for Dolphins

Pacific Northwest Killer Whale Pods struggling for survival - another birth increases number to 89.
Newborn orca joins resident pod struggling for survival

Lock Washer

Back
Top Bottom