Tragic Sharm El Sheikh plane crash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it is a liveaboard with a random group you might want to see if the sailing is still confirmed. Things seem to be heating up with ISIS attacking civilians. Jetliners now Paris.

Insane things are happening in the world, I wouldn't call now European cities any safer than a lot of African counterparts. I expect many liveboards will be canceled due to lack of interest (for one: russian guests
are (were...) a very significant part of the diving business on the red sea). I plan a liveaboard in February but I'll double check with my insurer and the operator what are the conditions, maybe I'll stay on the shore,
the Fury shoals are nice from dayboats as well...

If European cities are now just as dangerous as African cities than the **** has hit the fan IMO.
Indeed it has, 130 dead and 300+ wounded one Friday night would count quite violent in Cairo or Johannesburg.

Russia & Putin are now saying they have evidence that the flight was brought down by a bomb. Horrible tragedy for all the victims and their families...and now a darker shadow cast on Egypt. As if Red Sea & general Egyptian tourism hasn't taken a hit already....

Russia & Putin are now saying they have evidence that the flight was brought down by a bomb. Horrible tragedy for all the victims and their families...and now a darker shadow cast on Egypt. As if Red Sea & general Egyptian tourism hasn't taken a hit already....

Curiously waiting how do they want to tackle the situation? Obviously the trust is gone. Thorough and regular international security audits might change this, otherwise I don't know how many airlines will trust support personnel allowing anything on the plane for 20€ baksheesh.

BTW the dive sites may have a little relief, many of them are overdived, damaged (not everyone has the philosophy "take nothing but pictures"....:()

Curiously waiting how do they want to tackle the situation? Obviously the trust is gone. Thorough and regular international security audits might change this, otherwise I don't know how many airlines will trust support personnel allowing anything on the plane for 20€ baksheesh.

BTW the dive sites may have a little relief, many of them are overdived, damaged (not everyone has the philosophy "take nothing but pictures"....:()

Hard to say how they will handle it. They seemed to try and deny it regardless of the facts from the beginning. I am leaning towards cancelling my trip. I just don't need the hassle. I think Egyptian tourism is going to be grim for years perhaps decades. Maybe it will improve if the Egyptian govt decides to get serious and rid the country of the vermin.

Back
Top Bottom